quarantine tank question

WarmWaterDiver

Reefing newb
I have 2 pipefish which I love to death. I noticed yesterday that one of them seems to have a fungal infection on his mouth "cotton mouth". I've decided to try to treat it and see how it goes. My problem is I don't have and can't afford the proper equipment for a quarantine tank... tank, filter, chiller, etc. My plan is to use a small bucket inside my sump as a quarantine. It's supposed to be 100 degrees tomorrow and I can't afford 2 chillers so my thought was to keep the bucket in the sump where is can stay at a semi stable temp. Do you think the fish will be ok on just an air pump for a day or two? I can change water daily no problem.

What do you think about doing soaks in the medicated water? I don't know if this would be more stressful on them coming in and out of the tank. I just really have no way to set up a tank without frying them in the heat.

I have a similar fresh water setup to isolate an aggressive fish. The only advantage is that you don't get temperature problems in the inner tank. I can't use it as a true quarantine because water splatters over the edge into the bigger tank occasionally. Maybe you could put a lid on the bucket.

I've actually set up a 3 gallon rectangular tub (they just did circles int he bucket). I have an air stone in there and a fake plant for them to latch onto. They seem ok. I just wonder how long I should leave them in there. I will have to monitor nitrates and possibly do a water change in a day or so. I think I may fill my bath tub with water and set the "quarantine tank" in it. I'm hoping the water in the tub will keep the quarantine cool enough... similar to putting it in the sump but a lot less hassle... since i would have had to uproot all my mangroves :) I'm still open to suggestions but thanks to all!

I am confused. Why can not you just put the quartine compartment in the main tank. They have acrylic boxes that are used for quarantine that just hang on the top lip of the tank. You should be able to rig up something like that. Just use a small siphon hose to siphon a little water out every day or so and pour some tank water in to replace it. If your worried about to much light just lay two or three layers of cheap fiberglass window screen over the quarantine container.

Im confused too. Is the quarantine bucket connected to the main tank? Same water? Do you plan on using medication?

Just to clarify (since I'm confused too), you cannot have the quarantine tank water and the display tank water mixing if you choose to medicate. And dipping the fish in medicated water will not work. They need to live in it for a certain amount of time.

I am confused. Why can not you just put the quartine compartment in the main tank. They have acrylic boxes that are used for quarantine that just hang on the top lip of the tank. You should be able to rig up something like that. Just use a small siphon hose to siphon a little water out every day or so and pour some tank water in to replace it. If your worried about to much light just lay two or three layers of cheap fiberglass window screen over the quarantine container.

My pipefish are a little over 6-7 inches long so a hang on box is not big enough. I don't think that if he has an infection on his nose that bumping it trying to turn around is a good idea. I wish I could use one though, it would be so much easier.

Sorry for the confusion, I have a small three gallon tub, separate from the main tank, with an air stone in it. That's it. Yes there is medication in the water. My biggest problem is that I need to regulate the water temp. I live in so cal and have no AC and cannot afford another chiller. So leaving them in the quarantine tank will basically cook them during the day. Last night I left them in there over night and replaced them back into my main tank in the AM... which is kept at a stable temperature. I think this will just be trial and error. Sad to say it's cheaper to lose my fish than a whole tank of corals.

If you have an extra small and twenty feet or so of tubing coil the tubing around a bucket and wrap that with a towel or blanket, then pump water from your sump through the tubing and back to the sump. That should keep your temperature very near the same as your tank temperature with out the fear of a heater in a small container working improperly.

Last edited:
Back