Quarantine tank question

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
I have a small Sump that I never used sitting here. Its about 20"x10"x12" with a divider in the center. I also have a small submersible heater I'm not using. I really should set up a Quarantine tank for my next additions. What else should I get and would this be suitable as one? I also have some kind of lighting I think will work out too. I plan on using water from my tank to fill and do water changes in the QT tank. Since my numbers are really good, would this be okay?

Unless you QT every fish that goes into your tank and leave your DT fallow for at least six weeks, starting to QT now is pointless.

My current fish all came from th same place and actually the same tank. All are healthy. What I'm worried about is a fish from a different location like online, where I can't see the fish before hand.

It doesn't matter if the fish looks healthy now. If you didn't quarantine it before adding it to your tank then ich and whatever diseases were added to your tank already. Unless you QT every single fish there will always be ich in your tank, if you quarantine fish now, you will only be adding them to infected water when you put them in your DT.

i currently have ich in my tank :( but i removed all of the fish and placed them in my QT. ( i did not have a QT untill recently) the fish are starting to show signs of improvement, but how will i know when it is safe to place the back in the DT?

When the tank sits clear for about 6 weeks, the tank may be free of ich but not necessarily the fish, unless you medicate the QT tank or use other means to get rid of it.

You need to do one or the other, you shouldn't treat something with two separate methods.

Also, what are you using to medicate? The only thing that will get rid of ich 100% is either copper or hypo.

also why would i not want to use medication and the hypo treatment at the same time? if i had to pick one, which one would be best? if the hypo would be best, how would i get all of the medication out of the water? sorry for all of the questions

I thought I read that a fresh water dip for about 1 minute would kill the ich, and if the fish survived they could go back in the tank. Is this incorrect information?

FWIW, I am watching my guys very closely and as of now, they all appear very healthy. Well, the Flame Angle is missing a small part of its tail fin. I think that was due to a territory issue at the LFS since it was in a small tank with another kind of Angle Fish.

You don't want to use both because it's going to put a lot of stress on your fish and would not be good for them while in there. Which one you pick, is totally up to you. Me personally, I don't QT but, if I did I would use hypo. Mainly because I do not like using any chemicals in my tanks and also because there are some fish that can not be treated with copper so it's easier if you just use one method for all your fish.
If you were trying to get the medication out, using copper and water changes will get it out for you.

I thought I read that a fresh water dip for about 1 minute would kill the ich, and if the fish survived they could go back in the tank. Is this incorrect information?

FWIW, I am watching my guys very closely and as of now, they all appear very healthy. Well, the Flame Angle is missing a small part of its tail fin. I think that was due to a territory issue at the LFS since it was in a small tank with another kind of Angle Fish.

It may get rid of the ich on the fish but then you'll be dropping it right back into a tank full of ich, Also, like you said, if the fish live, freshwater dips are extremely stressful on your fish, and it would just be exacerbated if the fish was showing signs of sickness at the time.

Back