Quarantine Tank

bangbangkhan

Reefing newb
I am setting up a quarantine tank to treat my tang for Ich...at least that's what it looks like for now....i am going to treat her with copper and wanted to know since i will not be putting in any live rock or live sand how often will i have to do a water change on the QT?

Cheers

This has nothing to do with your question but is just an FYI-----Since you already have the tang in the display the parasite is there. So treating the tang in a quarantine tank now and then putting it back in the display will expose the fish again to the parasite. Moving it will also add more stress to the fish. I would feed the fish healthy frozen foods and plenty seaweed/algaes and let it fight off the parasite with its immune system. Quarantine is something you need to do from the beginning unless you are willing to let your display run fallow for a couple months to allow the parasite to die off with no host.

This has nothing to do with your question but is just an FYI-----Since you already have the tang in the display the parasite is there. So treating the tang in a quarantine tank now and then putting it back in the display will expose the fish again to the parasite. Moving it will also add more stress to the fish. I would feed the fish healthy frozen foods and plenty seaweed/algaes and let it fight off the parasite with its immune system. Quarantine is something you need to do from the beginning unless you are willing to let your display run fallow for a couple months to allow the parasite to die off with no host.

Yeah i thought about that...i was told by LFS that i would need to run the display tank empty for at least 6 weeks. But last week there was only 1 tiny spot on the fin but now it has grown a bit...i don't want the fish to be in stress...just keep on feeding her algae and see how it goes then? she has been eating so there is nothing wrong with her appetite...and the cleaner wrasse spends a good time on her every day. I added two cleaner shrimps yesterday too.

and what about the other fish in the tank?

Back