Queen Angel

dzfish17

Reefing newb
Im planning the aquascape for my 600g tank and was thinking of replicating a deep fore-reef slope. I'll be using blue light (to create depth) and building vertical walls and a large overhang. This tank will be a FOWLR.

I was thinking about a queen angel as the main fish. I know they are very aggressive and can grow quite large but Ive always been fascinated with the large angels.

Has anyone had any experience with queen angels and possible tankmates?

I realize this is a reef forum and Ive heard the queen angel loves to eat coral so probably nobody has kept one.

Im having second thoughts about this set-up.so any thoughts, advice, or ideas would be welcome.

Thanks, Dave

Last edited:
IMO, a 600 gallon is plenty big enough for a queen to along with almost anything.I would Love to see this sweet set-up!I say go for it,and get the angel and probably whatever else you want.I've heard of lots of people keeping queens in much smaller systems(225's) with all sorts of other fish(even other angels) .I guess any fish could turn postal at any point,but 600 gallons,i'd be going for it full throttle!Just curious ,whats the footprint of this 600?

I kept a queen quite happy in a 120 for a number of years. Got her as a juvenile however, and by the time I broke my tank down she was still pretty small compared to how big they can get. She was a delinquent though. She feasted on corals. Still, Queens are one of the top 4 most beautiful fish in the world in my opinion, so it was wroth it.

Sounds like you are going to have a sweet setup. Can't wait for the pix.

In a FOWLR system.Shoot.Go for it:D
A Queen Angel and a few different tangs,along with other types of angels would make one hell of great looking tank.

Queen angel will be awesome in that tank. As mentioned tangs, rabbits, foxface etc should all do fine with one.

The beauty of a larger tank is more hiding spots etc so your fish will actually get along better.

Back