Question about a dead coral

mng777777

Shark Wrangler Wannabe
For those of you I have not yet met, I recently purchased some LR from that was the base rock in a DT for about 18 months. As I have described in other posts, my newly acquired rock is seeing light for the first time and now has all sorts of things growing on it that were dormant in the display from which they came.

I have 3 Favia (I assume) skeletons on the rocks. They are all presumably dead on arrival. They all became covered with diatoms initially and through the tanks' first cycle, but now that my tank is becoming a little more established and my CUC has the algae under control all 3 skeletons have remained clean. I noticed some growth on one of them that I am curios about. It is more orange, and brighter than the diatoms growth I have in the tank. It is growing from the center of the skeleton, outward. Is it possible that this coral could be recovering from a near death experience or is it just some new algae making it's home in this cozy skeleton?

P1030752.JPG
P1030753.JPG

Corals will often come back from what appear to be dead skeletons. All you need is one polyp to survive to eventually turn into a whole colony. You lucked out, those are awesome hitch hikers!

Back