Question about carbon

Ted

Living one day at a time
Do you run it? If you do how often and why? If you dont why? From everything I have read on carbon it seems to me to be a good thing to run in your tank as long as you change it often.

i never have.... people keep telling me you can tell the people who do because their water is clearer.... but mine's always been crystal clear... so who knows.

i wouldn't use it unless i felt there was a reason to, and then i would change it every week...

I started out just running carbon for a few days and then removing it. But I started smelling the tank more after a week or so of not running carbon. So now I run it all the time and just change it every 2 or 3 weeks.

Also, thanks for sharing the great article. It was a great read. I'm running carbon in a mesh bag that I've placed in my sump. I eventually may get a reactor to put it in but it seems to be working well for me in the mesh bag so no need to spend more $ now. When I get home I need to read the label of the the carbon I've been using to see if it's good compared to the information I learned reading the article.

on second thought i will definitely run carbon in a media reactor on my next tank... just too good of an arguement...

I ran carbon for about the first month after I moved everything into the 125.Havnt used carbon since.
My waters clear,no smell,everythings growing good and theres no algae.

i never have.... people keep telling me you can tell the people who do because their water is clearer.... but mine's always been crystal clear... so who knows.

That's what I thought as well. Everyday I go home and when I see the tank, I was like wow the water is so crystal clear!

Now I have to use carbon because I'm using ozone. I'm really surprise that there is a even "clearer" than the "crystal clear"!!

I run carbon in a media bag in my sump, but forget to change it as often as I should. Oops.

Wes I have heard about those ozone units. Are they hard to use and what is the dryer thing all about?

It's just a tube of moisture absorption stuff. Get some silicon air tubes and connect them all together to make sure the air going into the ozone thing is dry air. Since the skimmer sucks air in, you don't even need a pump to get the air going.

Basically, just connect the air tube from the dryer to the ozone, from the ozone to the skimmer air in-take. Done.

Back