Question about moss...

Elena

Reefing newb
Hi there, I've tried to search the net for some answers but am not having much luck. I have a beautiful porous rock that I would love to add to my tank (which is cycling at the moment, I'm new to marine life!). Unfortunately this rock has some moss on it. I'm not sure what kind of moss it is, but some is green, some is orange. I'm trying to get it off without using chemicals but am not having much success. Anyone have any advice? I don't want to put this rock in if there's any chance of it screwing up my fragile new biofilter....

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you. I'm with Erin, where did you get the rock? And to get rid of the algae, try boiling the rock and then scrubbing it well with a toothbrush or something.

thanks guys. i bought this rock at big al's because of its large flat shape and nooks and crannies, it's gorgeous! it's going to be hard to get this moss out of said nooks and crannies even with a toothbrush... but i will give it my best shot!

+1&2 Erin and Smitty. Is Big Al's a saltwater store? If so, was that rock in a tub with other live rock? We'll need some more info before we can accurately answer your question. Also, a pic of the rock could help.

i will get a pic of the rock and moss when i get home from work. the rock was dry, in a tub with other similar porous rocks. i realize that it isn't going to be a "live rock" for many years, if ever, but i just liked the look of it so much i couldn't resist purchasing it. and yes, it was big al's aquarium store.

Ok guys, this is the rock in question (sorry for the background lol, only place with good light for my phones camera), and some shots of the moss as well. The rock is wet because I had it soaking in water overnight to try and make the moss a little softer and easier to scrape off.

Attachments

• 1291343105113.jpg
    1291343105113.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 274
  • 1291343120116.jpg
    1291343120116.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 1291343131172.jpg
    1291343131172.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 264
  • 1291343143474.jpg
    1291343143474.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 253
That will make a nice piece of live rock. Another thing you can do is bleach the rock to kill all the algae spores inside the rock.

I would boil it over bleaching it. If you bleach it, you will need to soak it in a bucket of water with some dechlorinator added afterwards.

you bet. i'll be on the boiling tonight... 10 minutes per side you think? i don't have a pot big enough to soak the whole thing at once.

well i've boiled it, but the moss was still really stuck on there. I have it soaking in some dechlorinated, lightly salted (SG of like 1.011) water to see if the moss grows or dies or whatever. I'm not in a hurry to place it in my tank.

Can we please stop calling it moss...it's killing me. Moss grows in the woods. It's algae..:mrgreen:

+1 everybody.:D

Its...

nothing to worry about.
I have some rock just like it with same stuff on it that I got from a LFS. Its been dead for a while....
You are fine putting it in your tank. Now that you've boiled it you should be more than fine :)

Hey everyone!!! After a couple weeks of cycling I FINALLY got my nitrates under control, and have made my first additions to my aquarium!

Attachments

• 1291659550708.jpg
    1291659550708.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 1291687165934.jpg
    1291687165934.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 274
Back