question about snails

rbl1979

Reefing newb
Hey everyone

Firstly like to say that my tank is really starting to show signs of life. Over the last couple days I have a lots of new growth on the live rock and everything is floushing...... include the ridicous algae explosion haha. Been cleaning it off the glass every couple hours and I am pretty sure it doubles in volume in the time also.

Now for my question, I have a few snails in my tank right now some that came in the rock and some that I bought, all small ones and they are pretty busy with this algae clean up (I think they are doubling in size everyday also). I was wonder off reading other posts about snails and acclimtizing them. Has anyone tried to transfer freshwater snails to a saltwater tank if you go slow enough with the water mixing. We still have our freshwater tank which I am hoping to get rid of pretty soon and it has like 30-40 snails in it. It would be nice to be able to transfer them over because there is so much. I don't want to try just yet because they are doing an excellent job keeping the freshwater tank clean. Has anyone tried this before???

I wouldnt try. They are a fresh water species and would not be able to live in a salt water tank.

Think of it like this

if we gradually switched you from an atmosphere breathing oxygen and gradually decreased the oxygen level and increased the nitrogen level, woul you adapt to breathing the new atmosphere if we did it real slowly?

I would try to see if I could sell the fresh water snails, that way you would have some extra cash for the SW tank:Cheers:

The only snails that could be converted from fresh to salt are the nerite snails.Thats because their actually a brackish water snail.But even then,going full salt with em shortens their life.

Back