Question about the 2 new frags floating in my tank...

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
OK, my husband got me a couple of frags from Zomania for Christmas! Evidently, he asked for a later delivery date but they came this morning. After I got my microscope out and looked at these guys through the bag, I floated them in my tank. The 'shroom opened up and it's actually bigger than I though it would be (not saying much since I thought it would be the size of a pin head), anyway, the bag with the 'shroom has a bunch of debris in it and I was wondering about something I could do to sanitize this before I put it in my tank. Didn't I hear about dipping it in RODI water? Also, I was just getting ready to mix water for a water change. I was going to do that this evening. Should I put off the water change or keep these guys in the bag until I've had a chance to mix water, let it sit for a while and get it warm enough to go in my tank? I'm kind of worried about these frags because there was a weather delay in getting them to me. As always, thanks for the help!

Catherine

well you dip them in idoine not the same as the one that gets added to the tank its called lougals. are they on a peice of rock rubble? just open the bag and add a 1\4 cup of water to the bag every 10 or 15 min for a bit than just reach in the bag and take them out and put them in the tank. as for your water just mix it up and change the water tomarrow. dont forget to wash your hands very good after touching the zoas. and make shure you do not have any cuts on your hands or just wear latex gloves. and dont touch you face after touching them they can cause bad things to happen. not joking zoas can do very bad things !!!!!!

well you dip them in idoine not the same as the one that gets added to the tank its called lougals. are they on a peice of rock rubble? just open the bag and add a 1\4 cup of water to the bag every 10 or 15 min for a bit than just reach in the bag and take them out and put them in the tank. as for your water just mix it up and change the water tomarrow. dont forget to wash your hands very good after touching the zoas. and make shure you do not have any cuts on your hands or just wear latex gloves. and dont touch you face after touching them they can cause bad things to happen. not joking zoas can do very bad things !!!!!!

Thanks! You may have just saved me a trip to the emergency room!
catherine

Congrats on your new additions. We'll be waiting for pics once they get all settled. I usually dip all my corals before I add them to DT. When I first get them I'll let them float for a half hour so the water in the bag can get the same temperature. Then I'll add my tank water to the bag a little at a time until it reaches the same salinity. Then I dip them in iodine then add them to my tank. I know some corals you can freshwater dip but can't remember which you can or can't. I'm sure Biff will know once she see this post.

Early Christmas huh?:D Congrats on the new corals.

The difference between regular iodine and Lugols iodine,is the Lugols is a lot stronger.

Back