Question on Salifert KH/Alk test kit

breebauer

Reefing newb
Hi again!

I bought this kit online, used it a few times, and then lost the instructions. This and the Calcium kit are my first experiences with Salifert tests. I'm not really too sure if I'm doing it right.

I just downloaded another copy of the instructions. Here's my question:

On the instruction sheet, #2 says "shake the KH-ind dropping bottle a few times and add 2 drops in the test vial"

My kit came with 2 solutions:

One bottle is larger and has a red solution and is labeled 'KH' (I'm assuming that's the "KH reagent" solution mentioned in step #3)

One bottle is small with clear solution, labeled 'Alkalinity Check Solution'- Is this the KH-ind solution that they're talking about in step #2?

The reason I'm asking is that it says to add 2 drops, and there's no cap on it to add just drops. I've actually been taking the syringe and adding 2 drops that way. (the calcium test has a dropper-type cap on it for the solution that needs to added) That's why I'm a little bit confused and want to make sure I'm not doing this wrong.

It seems like the English translation for the instructions might be throwing me off a bit.

Thanks for any help you could offer!!!

(BTW, I've never taken a chemistry class in my life. It's probably the only class in high school that would've actually been useful for something later on in my life. Go figure...)

for your Alk test kit (If I am reading it right), you should have a test container where you do the mixing, a 5 ML syringe, which you will the 4 ML of tank water, a long skinney syringe to draw the clear solution from the open bottle and a tiny bottle that is dark blue. That should have a nosel-tip like a visine bottle that you can gentle squeeze out 2 drops into your water to test, then you draw from the clear bottle with the skinney syringe until the black bumper hits the 10 mark. You should be good from there. Hope that made sense

-Doc

KH/ALK TEST:
The small bottle with blue dye is the one you use to put 2 drops into the water. It should have a visine-type dropper on the top.

Fill the test vial with 4ml of saltwater and put 2 drops of the blue dye into it. Use the short, stubby syringe.

Now take the long skiny syringe with the tiny tip and stick it into the clear solution in the other bottle. Draw up till the plunger hits the 1.00 ml mark. It wil have an air bubble in the top--don't worry, it's supposed too.

Now drop the clear solution into your test vial a couple drops at a time and swirl continuously. When it changes color to pinkish, STOP. It happens pretty fast. Drop, drop, drop, drop drop, drop drop, drop drop, drop--still blue. Three drops later-- PINK . Be Careful.

Now turn the syringe over--tip pointing UP-- and read where the black rubber washer is at in the syringe. Use that number to check the chart and see where the KH (dKH) and ALK are.

Calcium Test:
Use the short--stubby syringe and add 2ml of water to the test vial.

Add 1 level spoon of Ca-1 to the test vial. (this is the small bottle of pinkish/purple crystals) DON'T SHAKE IT!!!!!

Add 8 drops of Ca-2 (small bottle with dropper top) and SWIRL gently about 10 seconds. DO NOT SHAKE IT!!!

Now put the tiny plastic tip on the long skinny syringe.

Open the liquid bottle with the black top (big bottle). Stick the syringe in and suck it up till it reaches the 1.00 ml mark. There will be an air bubble--do not worry. It's supposed to be like that.

Now add drops from the syringe to the test vial and swirl. Same as the other test.

The INSTANT it changes BLUE --you're done.

Now turn the syringe over. Tip pointing UP. Read where the black rubber washer is at. Use that number to reference the chart and determine your Calcium.

I squirt the leftover liquid from the long skinny syringe back into the bottle with the black top. I also NEVER rinse that syringe. It should NEVER have anything in it--except the reagent. Not even water. No need to rinse it. Plunge the thing up and down a few times to blow it out and put it back in the box.

Everything else gets rinsed in warm tap water and set out to dry on the counter.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
This is not good...

I think I have a problem. My kit doesn't have ANY blue solution. There's a small bottle with clear solution (no dropper cap) and a larger bottle of RED solution:

kit010.jpg

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: I just got it a few weeks ago, could it be a new test?

I'll bet you do have DO have one of the new kits.
I've never used the Salifert kits yet.But from what I hear,there pretty pricey and fairly complicated.

I do plan to get one of their magnesium kits today.

um, yeah. That is not a new test. I bought the new test and it does not look like that at all. The KH solution is supposed to be clear. The small bottle is supposed to be colored and the clear bottle should be large. I have no idea. If it does work, use two drops of the clear solution and measure out 10ml of the orange stuff and see if you get a reaction. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

-Doc

That don't look nuthin' like my test. :shock:

I'd recommend that you call them--but the tests are made in Holland. :lol:

Wish I could be more help to ya. I do like my Salifert test kits. They were kinda complicated to use at first, but after a half dozen times, I don't even need the directions anymore. Just need the chart to read the results.

I have the Calcium test, also. I think I have the hang of that one. It's just that the instructions on this test refer to a "KH-Ind dropping bottle" in step #2:

On the instruction sheet, #2 says "shake the KH-ind dropping bottle a few times and add 2 drops in the test vial"

I'm assuming the small clear bottle labeled 'Alkalinity Check Solution' is the KH-Ind dropping bottle? I wonder why mine is clear and everyone else's is blue. And why is my KH reagent Red and everyone else's is clear?

I'm sorry, I don't have that test, I wish I could help... If I were you, I'd try it both ways -- using the clear solution first, and a second time using the red solution first. Then see if either way produces a result that makes sense and matches the card. Then I would just assume that that's the right order to do it in.

I just picked up the salifert test kits for nitrate, ammonia and calcium.. All 3 seem to be accurate and easy to use.. They are a bit pricey but last a while..

yeah, mine cost $15 and they manage to do about 100 tests. I bought it last year and only test 2 a month. Things seem to last a while with these tests

-Doc

I have been very happy with my Salifert kits, by far the best I've used. That KH kit looks strange, but Salifert is always changing and improving their tests, it could be new.

You could always head to the Salifert forum over at Reef Central and ask there. Habib, the owner, answers questions directly. He has been helpful to me in the past.

I think i figured it out. The clear solution is just to check to see if the test is woking, 'alk check solution'.

Apparently this is a new test.
I'll ask Habib, though, Thanks!!

Back