Question regarding Zoathids

Thanks Brat. I'll have to look into getting some before I purchase any other Zoathid or other coral that should be dipped.

I went ahead and did a dip with fresh water (from my top-off bucket). It was mentioned as a secondary way to treat them on Wet Web Media (Lugol's Iodine being preferred). They closed up, of course, but already started opening a little. Hopefully the stress won't kill them. I did see a lot of very small black dots fall off. Probably just bits of sand or something from the LFS (I noticed it on one of the heads before the dip). I also increased the water flow around them to more of a medium flow. Nothing will settle on the rock now, but it won't blow them around either. The small frag was only $10 (typical from what I have seen here) and had three heads on it but I hope to get them growing and spreading. Time will tell.

Oh, and the new camera is coming this week. Hopefully I can get a good picture. It has a 10x zoom.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet that those black spots you seen come off in the fresh water are nudibranchs.Go a head and use the iodine you have to dip in.
Just take a 1/2 gallon of water out of your tank,put 40 drops of your iodine in it and mix by hand for a couple of second.Then sit your zoas in there and let them soak for about 15 or 20 minutes,rinse and place back in the tank.

Thanks Yote. I didn't think nudis would be that small. These things looked more like small grains of sand. I dipped them in both fresh water and in Iodide. Hopefully they will start to open better now.

On a side note, the mushroom from my other thread is really taking off. It has really grown.

Nudis can be extremely small and hard to see.Now that we know what the problem is,you'll need to dip the zoas about every other day to kill off the newly hatched devils.
It might be a good idea to add a wrasse of some type to,to help control em.

OK, here is a pic of the zoathids, still not a happy camper :frustrat:. I glued the chip on a rock from the tank.

zoas_small.JPG

zoas_small_2.JPG

Also, here is a couple shots of the tank itself, for no real reason :D

full_tank_samll.JPG

full_tank_and_stand_small.JPG

Back