Questions New Reef Octopus 4"

Djturna4thakidz

Reefing newb
For anybody that has a reef octopus skimmer I have a question. I just got a new reef octopus 4" pin wheel skimmer today. Boy the construction is like night and day to my old bubble magus skimmer. If you have a chance avoid bubble megus, nothing but problems. Anyway, my sump is pretty small and thus I had to get the smallest skimmer. The intake venturi ends up being like a 1/2" inch from the sump wall. Due to the size of the skimmer and its shape, I cannot do anything to change this? The skimmer appears to be working great, I was just hesitant that this would impede flow so much that it would melt the pump, but I dont see any signs of this. The only other thing I could do, is detach the pump from the skimmer and run a longer pipe to the skimmer body to free up some space in front of the intake. Being that the product is brand new, I wanted to get some other opinions first before I mettle. Another thing, where should the top water level be inside the skimmer as I wear it in? and how long does it take to produce skimmate?

Back