Questions on macro shooting

Eissie

Reefing newb
Bought a Nukon D60. Don't know anything about shoot in macro. Any tips or lens suggestions? Macro lenses dont seem that expensive. Then again I'm not sure what to look for and might just be looking at junk.

I get a macro lens and some extension tubes if money allows. I shoot canon so I can't give a lens suggestion. I'd also get a tripod and shutter release so you have no movement.

Cheapest way to get into macro, (quality wise), 40mm. Under $300.
Nikon 40 mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor Lens 2200 B&H Photo

60mm. Under $500 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Lens 1987 B&H Photo Video

85mm Under $500
Nikon AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Lens 2190 B&H Photo

105mm. Under $900
Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Lens 2160 B&H Photo Video

Depending on how serious you want to get, you'll want to get a flash that can be triggered remotely.

Otherwise, just pick up the 40 or 60mm, a tripod and remote trigger, minimum.

Important:
Your depth of focus is so small with a macro, your heartbeat and breathing will throw the focus off. Get a tripod. Even with a tripod, you'll run into issues; any creature that is mobile will constantly be in and out of your depth of focus. Not being able to move the camera with it, you'll find yourself constantly moving the tripod. It's either a waiting game, or chasing it with the camera til you get lucky game, especially when it comes to fish.

Oh, and always FOCUS ON THE EYES. If it's a coral, focus on the mouth.

If this is your first camera setup, learn how to take a proper image first. Just slapping a lens on there and setting it to AUTO will do you very little. Learn and understand what everything does, unti it 'clicks'. It's not hard.

I have played around with the D50 while taking 2 years of yearbook. I got a few good shots. Learnt alot about iso and what is in you field of view. But this is my first personal "professional" camera.

And I knew something was funny when I was seeing macro lenses for $50.

Im looking into a tripod and an external flash right now. Then focusing on the macro shots. Those links have given me alot to think about and I'll bookmark them so when the time comes I have a reference!

Back