Questions

queenangel77

Reefing newb
I need to re mount a coral on a rock. Does plain old super glue work ok for this? I am not a fan of the marine epoxy. Second... I have heard conflicting info on watts per gallon information for corals. What would be a safe number where i could keep any coral i want, using t5.
Thanks in advance.

use super glue gel or a product called cora-fix. also with t-5 they dont exactly follow the watts per gallon rule. a 6 bulb fixture or more with individual reflectors will be enough light for anything

Regular super glue tends to just run when you try to yse it in the water.The gel will get a crust on it,but the middle will still be wet.But it'll stay where you put it.
As far as wattage per gallon and T-5s go.I've heard that you figure double the light per watt burned.I dont know that thats a fact.But I know you can keep a lot more under a lot less wattage with T-5s.

you might want to use some kind of rubber glove when glueing the frag because your finger oils might cause the coral to bleach in the spots it touches.......I learned this first hand.

I also wasn't a particular fan of marine epoxy, but I've found some, that turns the colour of coralline, and I must admit it looks pretty good!

T-5's will work fine for a water depth of about 22 inches max. if you have 5 to 7 watts per gal. its not really the watts per gal as it is the depth of the water and lighting par, you need to balance your lighting and determine at what depth you want to put things, the more light loving corals need to go high and the ones not needing so much light can go lower. There are some very good articles in our articles library at the top of the page click on articles and you can select the category you want, if you dont see it go to misc. if you have any difficulty in locating the articles, send me a pm and ill be glad to help you. some back ground reading surly couldnt hurt on on the issue of lighting. good luck, thanks for the question.

Back