quick questions

boots1302

Reefing newb
I have just a couple of quick newbie questions.

1. HOB filter for a 29 gal... any recommendations? looking for an upgrade. ALSO are there such things as HOB protein skimmers?

2. would this light work for keeping coral? not going to be keeping a clam or anything, but other than that this should be ok correct?

30" Sundial T5 High Output Lighting 4X24 WATT

3. Currently have gravel in my tank, need to get rid of it asap because it looks terrible. is there an easy way to clear out the gravel and add sand? Or do i need to take all of the fish out, take rock out, take gravel out, put sand in, then put rock and fish back in?

An HOB protein skimmer would kick the ass of any HOB filter. If you have a protein skimmer and live rock, you won't need any other type of filter. Check out the Octopus brand HOB skimmers at Premium Aquatics.

That light should be okay for most corals.

The way you describe it would probably be the easiest way to get out all the gravel. You could also just take a small scoop or spoon and get out all the gravel you can without moving the rocks. Then just fill it in with sand.

You dont want HOB filters, you can get HOB protein skimmers, Reef octopus make some good ones and i personally like the red sea HOB systems as well.

Those lights will work fine for pretty much all corals except SPS. Clams wont do well under those lights, but yea, you can keep pretty much anything else. Might be pushing it for an anemone though.

You could use a gravel vac to get rid of a lot of it. But the easiest way is to empty out the tank to clean it out. Thats what i did when i increased the thickness of my sand.

thanks a lot guys, will check out those skimmers.

when you say SPS coral what do you mean?

and one more ? powerhead...heard you cant go wrong with koralia brand, but what size would I need?

SPS = Small Polyp Stony, They are the more special needs corals, they require higher light and very stable water parameters.

They are usually branching, like these:
ima4.jpg

With a skimmer, it's hard to go overboard. Generally, you should get a skimmer that is rated at least twice the size of your tank, so that one would be fine. It should be plug and play.

I have the sundial and I'm able to keep all kinds of coral. I have a few SPS but they don't require intense lighting. As far as softies and LPS goes all of mine do great. However, id spend the extra $100 and get the nova extreme pro (6 x 24watts), then you'll have no worries.

the only reason i didnt post that first is because they dont offer it in my 30in size. the one linked is the only one that seemed like it would do the job, along with fitting my tank.

the only reason i didnt post that first is because they dont offer it in my 30in size. the one linked is the only one that seemed like it would do the job, along with fitting my tank.

You can get kits that will allow you to suspend the pro from the wall/ceiling/back of the tank. Ive even seen people take sturdy, thin pieces of wood, lay them across the tank and place the fixture on the wood.

In that size tank,I'd go with at least 2 of the Koralia #3s and 2 of #2s.
That along with a good HOB skimmer should take care of your filtration.
And dont under estimate those T-5s.When you use a fixture with individual reflectors,you get a lot more usable light per watt.
I think you'd be able to keep 99.9% of the corals and clams as long as you pay close attention to their final placement in reguards to your light.

In that size tank,I'd go with at least 2 of the Koralia #3s and 2 of #2s.
That along with a good HOB skimmer should take care of your filtration.
And dont under estimate those T-5s.When you use a fixture with individual reflectors,you get a lot more usable light per watt.
I think you'd be able to keep 99.9% of the corals and clams as long as you pay close attention to their final placement in reguards to your light.

when you say 2 #3's and 2 #2's what exactly do you mean. Four powerheads total?, or my choice of 2 #3's or 2 #2's? i should be good as im not going to keep corals that require super high maintenance...for now at least.

Yea that's what I was thinking. Four powerheads would
Be overkill unless I was trying to replicate a hurricane or something. Also, when you say wavemaker friendly what do you mean?

The Evolution pumps can be hooked up to a controller that has wavemaker function(like the Reefkeeper Light and Elite,Apex) or dedicated wavemakers like the Reef Fanatic and Wave Master.Allows the pumps to be turn on/off frequently,pulse,slowed down without burning up the pumps and making a clanking sound when they turn on/off.It makes for a more random flow.

Just whats wrong with the hurricane effect? :mrgreen:
Personally,I'd go with 4 power heads as opposed to 2.Mainly because the more pumps you have,the easier it is to lessen dead spots.
But I like Reef said.Go with the new Evolution pumps and hook em to a wave maker.That will give you a more random flow and be better for the tank.

That light will be fine like every one said. I have a 29 gallon with 4x24 watt individual reflectors. I keep a range of corals and also have a clam that is doing extremely well in the tank. As for the skimmer, I have the reef octo like you pictured, but the 2000 model. I believe it is rated for up to 120 gallons or something, I just wanted it for when I do eventually upgrade.

I also have a 10 gallon sump with a cpr overflow box. And a mag 7 return pump that is split so the out put is directed in 2 directions. I also made a DIY fuge out of a 3 gallon garbage pail and a clamp reflector. I did a small write up about the fuge. It is in the DIY section.

I have 2 K1's in my tank. And am thinking about upgrading those to K2's eventually.

Back