Quick Questions

BryanS

Reefing newb
I went to Petco today to look and see what they had, I over heard someone saying that they feed their hermits table shrimp every so often, is that a good idea? I would think that hermits could find enough food for themselves am I wrong?

They also had black margarita snails for .99 but I didnt get any because I thought I remembered reading something bad about them but now i cant find it. How do they do?

I went to Petco today to look and see what they had, I over heard someone saying that they feed their hermits table shrimp every so often, is that a good idea? I would think that hermits could find enough food for themselves am I wrong?
I think it depends on a few factors. One, how often/heavily you feed your tank. If your feeding your tank just enough for the fish to eat then the hermits will look elsewhere for meaty meals. Two, do you have snails. If you have snails and the hermits aren't finding enough to eat, they can/will go after snails as food (and new homes). But, hermits are omnivores so they eat both meaty foods and algae, so they don't need to be fed extra food.

You are right about margarita snails -- they typically come from colder waters and they don't live long in our tanks. They slowly cook to death.

But, hermits are omnivores so they eat both meaty foods and algae, so they don't need to be fed extra food.

That is what I thought, I dont have any hermits other than 2 dwarf blue legs and they are tiny.

One more thing is there a way i can tell that the hermits are getting to big for there shells

That is what I thought, I dont have any hermits other than 2 dwarf blue legs and they are tiny.

One more thing is there a way i can tell that the hermits are getting too big for their shells
Easy way to tell...they trade their old home for a bigger one!

The people you over heard could have been talking about those big land hermits too.
When my kids had those,they'd feed em table shrimp sometimes.
The hermits we keep in our reefs feed mainly on detritus and other waste.

Back