Raising pH

Apestyler

Reefing newb
Just some advice and opinions on how to raise pH mine seems to be stuck at 7.9 - 8.0 which seems a bit on the low side, I am making regular water changes (40 litres every 2 weeks) however this does not appear to be helping the situation, can anyone recommend any products which would safely increase the pH to 8.1 or isn't it much of an issue?

In aquariums the main contributors to lowering PH are bacterial nitrification and photosynthesis. The PH should be maintained at or above 8.1 by regular partial water changes, minimal supplementary feedings, avoidance of all liquified or suspension food supplements (despite commercial hyperbole), or (in an emergency) the addition of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), sold as PH upward buffer. RECOMMEND YOU INCREASE YOUR WATER CHANGES TO WEEKLY AND SEE IF THAT DOES NOT HELP. OXYGEN MUST BE UP, HARDNESS MUST ALSO BE CORRECT. DO A COMPLETE TEST OF YOUR WATER PARAMETERS AND LET US KNOW THE RESULTS AND THEN IN TWO WEEKS DO ANOTHER WITH THE INCREASED WATER CHANGES AND COMPARE. IF STILL A PROBLEM POST REPORT AND I'LL TRY AND HELP WITH A SUGGESTION OR TWO. GOOD LUCK. OH AND TEST SAME TIME OF DAY EACH TIME.

(CLARIFICTION) BAKING SODA MUST BE USED VERY CAREFULLY. IT WILL QUICKLY RAISE THE PH WITHOUT AFFECTING THE ALKALINITY AND CAN STRESS THE ANIMALS. THE BEST WAY IS TO USE A PH INCREASER FOR THE MARINE HOBBY THAT WILL BE BALANCED PROPERLY WITH NECCESSARY MIXTURE OF CARBONATES AND BICARBONATES.) SORRY FOR ANY MISUNDERSTANDING.

Last edited:
Thanks for both of your replies

I am going to try increasing my water changes to weekly first as suggested by jhnrb, I will perform a 40 litre water change tomorrow and then take some tests a couple hours after to let it settle down, I'll post the results in this thread.

Well I did a water change tonight, and after a couple of hours a took some tests

pH 8.0
NH3 Zero
NO2 0.1 mg/l
NO3 5 mg/l
PO4 0.25 mg/l
KH 110 mg/l
SG 1.021 (very slowly trying to raise this to 1.024 via water changes)

you need to get your salinity up to 1024 - 1025. share with us how you make up your fresh salt water for water changes. do a small water change every 3 or 4 days and bring up your salinity over about 2 weeks or so. once your salinity is up test again and post your results. we can then take it from there, but, id bet once you get to 1024 your ph will raise a bit.

jhnrb said:
you need to get your salinity up to 1024 - 1025. share with us how you make up your fresh salt water for water changes. do a small water change every 3 or 4 days and bring up your salinity over about 2 weeks or so. once your salinity is up test again and post your results. we can then take it from there, but, id bet once you get to 1024 your ph will raise a bit.

I usually make it up in buckets and then either heat it via a small probe heater, or add water from boiling in a kettle - I then add the salt following the directions on the packaging until I get SG 1.024. I will do another water change tomorrow and then every 3 days as suggested by yourself ... will keep you posted

Make sure you let all salt water mix in a seperate container for atleast 8 hours before putting it into your tank.

Some would recommend even up to 2 days.

Just keep that in mind... Fresh salt water isn't safe for fish and inverts.

Brandon

bkv1997 is correct. reason i asked how you made up your water. make sure you mix and aireate well at least 8 hours, preferably 24 hrs at tank temperature before adding to the aquarium. ok keep us posted on your progress. good luck.

Ahh I didn't know that ... I'm gonna have to find a new water heating probe as the one I've got is pretty crap - I usually prepare them in buckets (4 x 10 litre) so its either I buy 4 lots of heaters or it will be a bit impracticle. Leaving them out to airate is no problem its just the heating thats an issue.

I use a 30 gallon trash can from lowes....makes the process simple and painless...

Just an idea :mrgreen:

Brandon

bkv1997 said:
I use a 30 gallon trash can from lowes....makes the process simple and painless...

Just an idea :mrgreen:

Brandon

The storage isn't really a problem - its the actual heating that is ... the probe heater I've got does nothing apart from raising it to around 20c (even when it is set to 25!)

oh thought you said you used four buckets and buying four heaters wasn't practicle....

I was suggesting using one big container, maybe that will require buying a bigger heater...

Good luck, I must have misunderstood your previous post

bkv1997 said:
oh thought you said you used four buckets and buying four heaters wasn't practicle....

I was suggesting using one big container, maybe that will require buying a bigger heater...

Good luck, I must have misunderstood your previous post

Sorry mate I think I confused myself - I've got a 300W heater which I use in each of the buckets ... I think I will have to get a bigger container and heater as you suggested.

I'll use one of the power heads to pump the water back into the tank

I just use empty trash cans, don't use them for anything else... good luck on that part, make sure you explain to the lady of the house that if she uses your trash cans it could kill those hermit crabs!

The container that you do use for making fresh salt should be food grade. a lot of plastic containers that are not food grade can leach into the water. abeit small can cause unexpected or mystery problems with the system. also, to airiate you need to push air vigerously with an air pump. so if you use a larger container make sure you use an air pump that will push at the bottom adequately, and lastely a good circulation pump to keep things mixed up good. hope this helps. good luck.

OK its been a couple of weeks since starting the regime that you guys recommended, here are my test results which I took today ... the pH has certainly increased;

pH: 8.1
SG: 1.024 (Spot on!)
NH3: 0.3mg/l
NO2: Zero
NO3: Zero
PO4: 0.25mg/l
Ca: 460mg/l
KH: 110mg/l

just a thought. low oxygen levels will affect ph also. take a sample of your water to the lfs or other and have the oxygen level tested. should be 5+ - 7 close to saturation when all lights are on. if your oxygen levels are low and you raise it (we can discuss how to raise the oxygen levels if needed) your ph will increase a bit more which is good. keep it up and adjust from where you are at. at this point keep the regime up for two more weeks and continue to test before and two hours after the water changes. keep a log. at the end of the next two weeks post your readings again. at this time you should have a firm idea what is happening with your system. if all is stable, then you can do the next two weeks with weekly water changes and test before and two hours after water changes. if things start to go down hill at this point back to the more frequent water changes and we discuss alternatives for solving the problem. dont forget to check the oxygen level of the water after the lights have been on for at least 4 hours. good luck and keep us posted. i know this is a pain right now but at the end it will be clear what you can do and cant do or if additional investigation and resolution is needed. hope something here helps.

Back