Raising pH?

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
My pH has always been a little on the low side. 8.1 since I started up the tank. Never fluctuated, never changed. The last two times I tested it was between 7.8 and 8.0. How would you suggest I raise it a bit?

Since I know it will be asked:

Temp 80.1f
pH 7.9?
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 0.0
Phosphate 0.0 (only the second time ever!)
SG 1.026
Ca 480
Water mixed with Seachem for the first time yeasterday so about 10% is the new salt. Previously I was using Instant Ocean Reef. No particular reason for the change, just thought I'd try something different.

Last edited:
Did you check them at the same time of day both times? At llights out, PH tends to drop, and when lights come on, PG goes up.

You don't need to raise it. It sounds normal. Adding buffers to raise it will just start a cycle of it going up and down, up and down. As long as it's stable, that's key.

I agree dont dose unless absolutely necessary.. A PH around 7.8 to 8 is fine and with your other levels looking good I wouldnt dose a thing..

I learned the hard way to just leave it alone. Monkeying around with PH only spells disaster if you do it wrong. Its ok to be 7.8 mine has been for almost 2 years

Been on vacation for the 4th. Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to leave it be. It wasn't a great thing to come back to though. Cyano is back and my Fungia is on its way out. Tested the water and everything looks okay. Standard positive test for phosphates though. I may have to pull my LR and start over with some I know is not going to leach out phosphates. Its the only thing left that could cause this persistent issue......I think. I can imagine what else it could be.

Run some GFO, and take a look at the amount and direction of flow. Cyano can take hold in dead spots of the tank, and a simple adjustment of a powerhead may solve the issue.

I've have run GFO for months. At times I do get negative test but it comes back. I had flow on the area. DIRECTLY on the area. Added to my other power heads I added two at sand level. Right at the verge of clearing the sand of the bottom of the tank. Didn't help. One thing, it isn't getting worse, just not going away.

Back