Re-cycling?

Amboy1976

Reefing newb
Hey All! This is my first post to the forums! I have a question I hope you all can help me with. I have a 75 gallon with the below levels. I’m aware of what is needed for the parameters of each. The issue I’m having is this; is it possible to have you tank go through a second n-cycle? I added some base rock and think this may have been the reason behind my situation. I was advised by my local fish dealer that adding the base rock would have no effect on my tank. I’m thinking he’s an idiot and it did. So now, should I do water changes to bring it down, or let it go through the cycle again? I read in many places that if your tank is in a n-cycling phase, you need to let it complete the cycle before doing changes. Any thoughts? Thanks all!

Pre-base rock
PH = 7.8
Phosphate = 0
Nitrate = 10
Nitrite = 0
Ammonia = 0
Calcium = 375
KH = 10
Salinity = 1.0235

Post base rock
PH = 8.0
Phosphate = 0
Nitrate = 20
Nitrite = 0.25
Ammonia = 0.25
Calcium = 375
KH = 10
Salinity = 1.0240

It is possible to start a mini-cycle whenever you add anything that is alive or has some die off. It's very common to see a mini-cycle in new tanks when a fish or additional live rock is added. If you had added base rock, this wouldn't have started a mini-cycle since there's not supposed to be anything on the rocks to die and spike those levels. Was the rock totally dry when you added it?

So basically, you are both right. :mrgreen:. Dry base rock should not cause your tank to cycle again, but your tank sure is doing that...

IMO and IME,base rock will not start or re start a cycle.I am always adding a few pounds of it here and there.Just added some about a month ago.I would look at other factors,did you stir up any sand while placing the rock in?Are you sure your tank was fully cycled ,and how did you go about starting your cycle.If your base was truely base(completly bone dry and clean) there should have been no affects on your levels.

It all the depends on how long the base rock has been dry.Many online retailers mention that leftover decaying matter can still be deep inside the rocks,causing a cycle.The ammonia isn't very high so you can probably skip doing waterchanges and let the cycle run its course.

IMO and IME,base rock will not start or re start a cycle.I am always adding a few pounds of it here and there.Just added some about a month ago.I would look at other factors,did you stir up any sand while placing the rock in?Are you sure your tank was fully cycled ,and how did you go about starting your cycle.If your base was truely base(completly bone dry and clean) there should have been no affects on your levels.

The issue of whether its base rock or not is much less important than if there is something dead on it. Rock can look perfectly dry and smooth but good rock is porous and who knows what dead stuff is down in those pores.

Hey All! Thanks a million for the reply posts. You all rock! Based on the feedback, I think I must have stirred something up. All critters seem to be doing great. I don’t think I lost anything either. Everyone is accounted for…LOL!
I guess the thing that freaks me out most is the Nitrate being 20. I checked again today and the readings are below. I think everything will be OK. I’ll just wait till the Ammonia goes back down, keep an eye on the Nitrate and go from there.
Out of curiosity, what is a bad level for Nitrate? I know it’s supposed to be 0, but am I cool at 20 for now? Lastly, how can I get it to 0 and stay there? I think this is the mystery everyone wants to know. LOL!
PH = 8.0
Ammonia = 0.25
Nitrate = 20
Nitrite = 0

Nitrates at or below 20 are fine. You are right that as close to zero as possible is ideal. Once they hit 20, that's when sensitive inverts can start to be harmed.

Boost your water changes when your ammonia goes back down to zero to drop the nitrates.

Back