Re-siliconing a tank...

bradleyheathhays

Reefing newb
Got a used 125 gal and I'm not sure if it's gonna leak or not when I fill it. Say it does leak, what is the procedure to re-silicone a tank? I assume it involves getting all the old silicone out and redoing the whole thing.

Is there maybe a tek on this? Thanks!

Thanks B!

I've read a couple teks on doing this now and feel like I can get through it fairly well. The one question I have left is about striping the silicone from the top. Every tek I've read talks about stripping out the bottom silicone and the inside corners, but not the top. Since new silicone doesn't seal to old silicone there would always be some leak potential at the top corners where the new and old silicones meet.

So, question is...When stripping out the old silicone is it common practice to cut out just the bottom and the sides, but leave the top in tact?

Thanks

PS Since GE Silicone I and II are now both 86-ed, where do I go for caulk gun sized tubes of aquarium safe silicone. Fosters and Smith maybe?

You can use any type of 100% silicone. Lowe's and Home Depot both sell their own generic brands, I believe. You can use any kind as long as it doesn't have any anti-mildew and anti-microbial additives.

Back