Ready for Corals?

Shep

Reefing newb
Hey,

So my tank has been set up for a little over a month. It has 3 fish and a few inverts. All of my parameters are where they should be and stable at those levels. I do not have much algae growing yet, the rock still looks mostly barren. I am just wondering when is a good time period to start adding corals to a tank and how do you know when your tank is ready for them? I have never had a reef tank before and just want to get as much information as possible.

Thanks
Shep

If all your parameters are in the acceptable range and you are not having any severe swings you are ready. You can throw a couple softies in there or try LPS as long as your lighting is sufficient. Just remember to light acclimate the coral to your lights.

What type of corals interest you?
I really like any that are colorful, to start with I am thinking of some polyps.

If all your parameters are in the acceptable range and you are not having any severe swings you are ready. You can throw a couple softies in there or try LPS as long as your lighting is sufficient. Just remember to light acclimate the coral to your lights.
I think my lighting is, I have the reefbreeders value fixture, at about 10% its lights the tank up so if I need more I can.

Now, today..... I went to my lfs and he hasn't changed the water in months. Man, he can grow favia, lps, and softies. I couldn't believe how well the tank is with the little care and attention it has had. I'm talking on a 2x2 in area, he has 6x6 growth.
Now this is against everything I believe in sps growing, but I've seen some amazing tanks with little care and technology. I'm speechless with most of it, but his sps was browning out ( to much nutrients). I wish I went down a different route I suppose, he uses Marineland reef lights with a 120g. So long story short, low light and laziness with a little luck can grow some spot on corals. Stay thirsty my friend.

I really wanted the reefbreeders but have had good luck with the good 'ol T5. You can grow anything with that fixture.

Back