REALLY Worried Now

Mine does the same thing... attacking himself in the glass.
The thing that made me think it was something else was it looked like he was turning sideways to rub against the rock...
But I could also be wrong. :)

Sorry to hear about beaker Karen. As for the 29 and the star fish I guess no one really remembers it other than my self and I feel putting beaker inthat tank at any time spells doom to Karens crazy little fish friend. As to where that star was found and to the fact of all the toxins that orange devil took in. The for it to purge it's self in the 29g. That crap will be there even after months of water changes. So idk on beaker but I would not put him in that tank.

Sorry to hear about beaker Karen. As for the 29 and the star fish I guess no one really remembers it other than my self and I feel putting beaker inthat tank at any time spells doom to Karens crazy little fish friend. As to where that star was found and to the fact of all the toxins that orange devil took in. The for it to purge it's self in the 29g. That crap will be there even after months of water changes. So idk on beaker but I would not put him in that tank.

For starters, you are not the only one who remembers the whole star fish incident of 2010.

Second, what sort of toxins do you think are in there? Starfish arent filter feeders so they cant bring toxins in that way. Also starfish are much much much much much much more sensitive than fish. They dont store toxins to purge themselves of later, they just strait up die from it.

The only issue i could imagine is that tank might be too cold for beaker.

Well for starters it was a boat port and surly gas and oil seep to the sand/muddy bed that that star was traped in and when put in the 29 after a few days there was an oily sheen on the top of the water so that's what toxins I am thinking of. So yeah that not a consern at all nooooo. And that would not make a toxic tank at all. Sure the tank would be could and be sight for consern but the photos of before and after of that star and the oily mess in the tank from it. I doubt that beaker would live through that toxic water. So don jump on my rump like I don't know what I'm talking about. I have talked with Karen about that star in txts and calls and Im's more than any one here. On the happenings of that star. So yeah there my 2cent......

The oily sheen was due to a lack of water flow, in my opinion. If the starfish had enough oil on its body to release it in the water in such a visible amount, the starfish would be dead.

An oily sheen on the water is one of the most common signs that you don't have enough powerheads. Which she didn't. And starfish are some of the most sensitive inverts out there. It wouldn't survive an oily tank. So I think you are the one jumping to conclusions. ;)

The great thing about oil and water is that they dont mix. So all the oil that might have been on the starfish or the water that got in there is going to be on the surface. Which can easily be pulled out by putting a powertowel on top of the water.

Furthermore, many of us have an oily shean on top of the water. It simply means you need more flow on the surface. So at worse that oily sheen is blocking gas exchange, which is a serious problem but not a toxic issue.

If there are some sort of toxins in the water doing water changes is going to dilute it out pretty quickly. It may not remove it overnight, but knowing Karen, im sure she has done regular water changes and anything is now at manageable level.

Also, if starfish are so much more sensitive to toxins and such, and you have one living happily in that tank - why cant a fish live in there?

That starfish is the bane of my existence apparently lol. Yes there was an oily sheen in the water. There isn't now. I just looked. I didn't want to start a ruckus with my friends!!! I'll run some tests on the 29 and get the equipment it needs.

Back