Rebuiding the 37 gallon.....

1 inch from bottom, 1 inch apart for right baffle and left baffle as well and middle baffle goes all the way up to the rim of aquarium

I did not know the dimensions listed on a tank were just roiunded numbers. I had baffles cut and now they do not fit. It is listed as 13" wide but it is actually 12 5/8s. Guess I will not be gluing baffles until next week when I can get the glass cut. Rookie mistake I guess.

If the tank is 24" tall what height would everyone recommend for the baffles?

depends, first measure the top rim to the bottom glass pane, and measure it from front to back (inside :D ) lets say its 23 and 5/8 inches... minus an inch for the bottom space in your bubble trap and make that one baffle. lets say you want to divide your skimmer area from everything else, make sure you have water to flowing into and out of this area most importantly, secondly make sure you make the baffle high enough to supply enough water for the skimmer to run with whichever water depth is recommended unless you get a HOB skimmer. and as for the other 2 baffles in the bubble trap, make one higher than the other, start them from the bottom of the tank and measure whatever feels comfortable to you but make sure you leave plenty of room in your sump for excess water so that if your power goes out, whatever water from your display drains will have enough room in your sump and not overflow causing a flood in your home. make sure the shortest baffle in your bubble trap is closest to your return pump, thats where your water flow should be going. This is how i built my sump basically but there are numerous ways to do it and maybe someone else will chime in with what design works best for them.

ok i think I have a better idea of what I want to do now. I will be ordering new baffles on monday. Glad they were pretty cheap. Getting the plumbing supplies tomorrow. What are your thoughts on a ball valve on the drain?

some people use them, i dont on mine personally because i thought it was a waste of money. if i control the flow from the sump back to the display tank, that means im regulating the water that is allowed to flow into the oveflows so its kind of the same concept. Its a preference.

Back