Recommendations?

adudle00

Reefing newb
Hello,
I've very new to this community and haven't kept a saltwater tank before.I'm looking to start my first one soon, however I have very limited space. I'm looking to start with at 5 gallon. I know the bigger the better, but I seriously can't go any larger at this time.
So, I'm wondering if anybody has recommendations on a high quality 5 gallon tank. I've seen some of these without lids, so I'm wondering if I will need one with a lid. Also reccomendations on the quietest filter for this size (it will be in my bedroom) and other supplies I will need to set up the tank.
What I would like to keep is maybe some corals and invertebrates (mainly shrimp). I don't think this tank size is larger enough to keep a fish.
I apologize in advance if I sound dumb. I'm trying to do my research but it helps to hear the opinions of people in the hobby instead of just reading everything from the internet or a book.
Thanks in advance! -Ash

Check out the contest forum. Right now, we are in the middle of a 3 gallon pico contest. It just started recently, so most of the tanks don't have much in them, but with a little pico kit, you can keep corals and inverts happy. My pico is completely silent.

Well, you could always go with JBJ as said above they are very good, but their aquariums never take up space, could always go with one thats 20 gallon or something.
Well here is how much space they take up:
Its a 24 gallon.

JBJ-24-gallon-Nano-Cube-DX.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, I think I'm going to end up purchasing the 8 gallon biocube. I'm trying to get all my supplies together first, so I'm thinking the other things I need would be a heater (what size?), a refractometer, and a test kit. Will I need a protein skimmer for this setup? Please let me know if you think I need anything else.

While a refractometer is a good thing, you could get away with a hydrometer for your cycle and save up for the refract. They are more expensive than they hydrometers.

Hello,

I have a few more questions before I get started setting up my tank.

I plan on buying live sand/rock. Do I need to buy all live sand, or should I buy regular sand and mix it with live sand? Also, what do you look for when purchasing live rock? I know they have a lot of beneficial bacteria on them, which is why they are used, but do they ever come with bad things, like parasites? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

How deep should the sand be in my 8 gallon tank?

I’m slightly confused on making my own saltwater. I see that a lot of people do this in a bucket overnight with a filter and heater attached to it. I’m not sure I’ll be able to do this, as the tank I’m buying has the filter built in to it. Any suggestions on the best way for me to do this?

I’m trying to read the specifications of the tank I bought, but I can’t figure out what the ‘flow’ of water is. I’d really like to get coral, but I’m not sure if this tank is sufficient enough for them. Does anyone know? Also, is the lighting on this tank sufficient for corals? This is the tank I have: BioCube > 8 gal

Hello,
I wouldn't buy live sand. Save your money and buy dry sand. The sand will become live from being in contact with the rocks.

For rocks, look for ones that are porous with a lot of surface area, nooks and crannies for fish to hide. Look for interesting shapes, and rocks with different colors. When you smell them, they should smell like the ocean, but not stinky like dead fish. Live rock often comes with pest hitch hikers, but there's no way to guarantee that the rock is pest free without wiping out all the good stuff on them. Pest hitch hikers are very common, and everyone ends up having to deal with them with live rock, so it's not a big deal.

I would make your sand bed less than 1 inch deep. It's easier to clean if it's shallow.

You don't use a filter when you make saltwater, but you do use a powerhead to mix the water. You can buy a cheap MaxiJet for mixing water (it costs less than $20) or any cheap Walmart brand powerhead.

The tank you have comes with sufficient light and water movement to keep most corals.

What would be a good heater for this tank, brand wise? And what size, 25w or 50w? I hear a lot of horror stories about heaters, so I'm slightly nervous about what to choose.

Back