Red algae problem

sramkumar

Reefing newb
Hi all,

I am suddenly having a red algae problem...especially on the sand and not on the live rock....my tank's about 8 months old and everything was fine all along...any idea why it's happening and what I should do to fix it? I have attached a picture also....

Thank you for your help!
Ram

red_algae.jpg

Looks like cyano. How do your nitrates and phosphates check out. Siphon out as much as you can with a piece of airline tubing and if possible direct a little more flow down there. Untill you find out whats feeding it, it will come back. Also what is the source of your water?

Hi all,

I am suddenly having a red algae problem...especially on the sand and not on the live rock....my tank's about 8 months old and everything was fine all along...any idea why it's happening and what I should do to fix it? I have attached a picture also....

Thank you for your help!
Ram

they make medication for that. called red slime remover. works wonders. reef safe too. also watch your water parameters.

IMO the slime remover just adds unnecessary chemicals to you tank and kills it and does not fix the problem and it will come back just as bad because the stuff that is feeding it is still in the tank

Back