Red Algae?

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
What do you guys think this is? It is all over my sand and glass. Is there a way to get rid of it?
DSC00761.jpg

DSC00762.jpg

Thanks

Do you have any powerheads pointed at the surface of the water?
Try that and one or 2 pointed at the algae.Thats how I got rid of mine the 3rd time around.
If you have xenia,,,dont use any chem-clean.That stuff and xenia dont mix.

That looks more like diatoms to me though. If it is it'll go away on its own after the silicates in your tank are used up.

I agree Yote, it looks like diatoms. good current may help, but it goes away, just keep your parameters correct. You can reach in the tank and "flip" the sand with your fingers if it is really bugging you. It is not Cyano - so count your blessings. Be patient, I had it in my tank for about two months. Haven't seen it in two years. Good luck

-Dr Marco:sfish:

Looks like diatoms to me also....if your tank has just started then this is a normal .Sand stirrers helps(like nassarius snails).I rake mine with this this cleaning tool that has an attachment which looks like a mini lawn rake.

Yep diatoms. Everyone gets them once in a while, it seems. Sometimes they'll just appear one day and be gone the next. In the meantime you can scrape off your glass using a magnet or algae scraper.

You can also get sand starfish to help keep that sand moving as well as sifting gobys. the diamond goby is good as well as the dragon goby. Just be careful with the diamond goby, I have lost two in my day form them jumping out of the tank. I have a dragon goby in my tank and he keeps the sand totally clean. Good luck.

-Dr Marco:sfish:

bobby said:
What is your perameters? Do you use ro water?

Ph 8.2, ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 15. Most of the water in the tank is from tap, but I just got my RO hooked up so I have been using RO for top off, I haven't did a water change yet.

Thanks guys for the comments/advice.

I do plan on getting some more snails, goby's and a lawnmore blenny once my tank has been up for a little longer, the tank is still pretty new.

I have done pretty good with the newbie disease, I have forced my self to be patient.

Last edited:
I would say your problem is from the tap water, tap water can have phos, silcates, and nitrates among other stuff. It will probably clear after you keep adding the ro water.

Ouch!!! Ive probably had to pour 125 gallons since my husband has been working overseas before I broke down and bought an RO for the house but never all at once. 30 at a time is bad enough!! Good luck and I hope you have a good massage lined up for after!!
Would make a good V-day request if not.

Does she only go somewhere if there is a couch involved? Does she hate to cook unless the package contains the words instant or microwavable? Does she have selective hearing ie she can hear the words money on the opposite side of the yard howerver you say the word sex in her ear and she cant hear a word your saying? If so then yes we share the same wife :D

Back