red bugs?

This acro has been closed up for days, and just now I'm noticing these little orange dots on my acro. When magnified they look like little tiny amphipods, but bright orange. Thanks in advance!
DSC_0012.jpg

you got the red bugs do you own a dog.you can use dog wormer to kill them.its a real pain in the ass.search redbugs on acro
what you want is heart worm medicine called interceptor made by novartis i think.do you have a qt tank because they can take out a whole tank of acro in days.put all acro in qt after dipping and starve the lil bastards out of your tank

Last edited:
You can use Flatworm Exit to kill them off, or Interceptor. Either way you will need to traet your tank at least twice, and get ready for a water change immediately after using them. Make sure you syphon out as much as you can during and after die off.

I've read about interceptor, but I don't own a dog. I do have some flatworm exit, I'll try that soon. I also don't have a QT, and lots of the acros are encrusted all over the rock, and I would have to take apart the entire tank to get them out. Also, do they only affect acros, or are my montis and BN's at risk as well? And I'm assuming that they can't be gotten rid of by dipping?

If they are in your tank, then you should assume they are all over your tank. Treat the tank with Flatworm Exit. If you have any inverts you need to find a place to house (a friend, or LFS) them as they will most likely not live through the treatment. You should get in the habit of dipping any new coral coming into your system from now on.

I'm not actually sure how I got them, considering I haven't added anything alive recently, and practically all of my corals were dipped, and about a month ago I treated with FE. So do the red bugs let off poison like flatworms do when they die? I intend to mix the water tonight, and do the FE tomorrow, so I'll update then.

In went the red bugs, and I see no red bugs, but I also see no crabs or shrimp...oh well

You mean Interceptor???? It killed almost all of my inverts as well, but I felt it was a small price to pay to save the acro's. Glad it worked out for you. I'd do another treatment in about 7-10 day to kill any that may have hatched from eggs.

Oops yea, I meant interceptor...Only my crabs and shrimp died though, the snails, stars, and urchin were fine. For anyone who wants to do this in the future, you should definitely set up another little tank and put all your inverts in it until you're done treating the tank.

Flatworm Exit works well to kill flatworms once they are in your tank. But, to help prevent a future infestation of flatworms, I dip all my new corals in an iodine bath like Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure before introducing them into my tank. Understandably I get a bit paranoid about introducing things like flatworms into my display tanks.

Oh well, now I can consider getting those fish that would eat the inverts. Besides, all the snails lived...it was just the crabs and snails, so that's one big PITA out of the way

Back