red film algae

lumpy

Reefing newb
I have an algae that is creating a filmy blanket over my sand and some of my live rock. It's almost magenta in color and I can practicly peel it off with my finger nails. I'm assuming this is a nusaince algae. Can anyone tell me what I'm dealing with so I can research how to get rid of it?

Sounds like the dreadful cyano. This is usually an indicator of rising nitrates or phosphates.

Do you use RODI for your water?

How often do you do water changes?

What kind of fish food are you using?

What kind of filtration setup do you have?

Staying on top of your water changes and using RODI water is the best way to prevent cyano, as well as using good food and not overfeeding.

Since you already have some, however, we'll have to narrow down any potential sources of excess nitrates or phosphates in your system. In the meantime, remove what you can by hand, and keep up with your water changes. There are a few things you can do before resorting to chemicals.

Also, post a pic of it to make sure it is what it sounds like.

Last edited:
well. It started while I was cycleing the tank. I'm using RODI water to top off now. I havent done a lot of water changes but I have a 75 gallon at the moment which up until two days ago had a single one inch clown fish, one hermit crab and one emerald crab. The fish ate almost all of the food I gave it. It might have missed a whole 3-4 pellets. I'm running a skimmer in the sump and have about 50 lbs of live rock in the tank so far. I suspect the culprite outside of the cycling of the tank is more likely to be the fact that I initially filled the tank with tap water. I'm starting regular water changes this week as I just added some snails a, yellow tang, and a damsel. I have to buy my RODI water from the LFS though as I dont have an RODI setup yet.

Back