Help!!! I can’t get rid of the red algae...ugh.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Donna, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Donna

Donna

Red algae is in my tank, and no matter what I do, I can’t seem to get rid of it.:( I don’t know what to do or what else to try to fix this problem. I haven’t tried adding anything to the water, because I have no idea what to add. Any help/advice/information is appreciated... thanks so much!!!

Donna, Jul 21, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Donna

Jesterrace

How often are you feeding and what are you feeding? How often are you changing the water and filtration.

Jesterrace, Jul 24, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Donna

rudy1952

I had same problem. I have a self tap off filtered fresh water system. I finally used silicate filter and added a few crabs, diamond back gobies which filter the sand and snails. My problem has been solved. Good luck as in this hobby there is alway some new challenge.

rudy1952, Aug 6, 2018
  4. Donna

Cape Reef Tank

I still new to this, but I used Red Slime Stain remover and reduced my lights on time a little.

Cape Reef Tank, Aug 7, 2018
  5. Donna

dantimdad

Donna,

If you are talking cyano bacteria, I have an old school solution that works every time I have ever had it.

Tetracycline. If you can, find freshwater Maracyn and dose half the dosage recommended for three days with all chemical media removed, it'll disappear. Crush the tablets up and stir into a cup of tank water before adding.

Make sure you are ready for your skimmer to go crazy and make sure you increase flow in the tank.

I have never lost a coral or fish to this. Just don't dose more than three days and start back on carbon immediately after you are done dosing. Oh, I have heard this can screw with clams and scallops but never seen it happen.

dantimdad, Aug 10, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question