Red Open brain and a Wellsophyllia shrunk

MKsreef

Reefing newb
I have noticed my red open brain and Wellsophullia have shrunk up in size. I have seen them do this in the past and they get bigger over night or so. They have have been shrunk up for about three days now I would say...I don't recall them staying small for that long. Other than being small they appear to look fine, no slime or anything like that. I have noticed my purple tang nipping at the red open brain. Everything else in the tank looks fine... I have tested my water parameters as follows:

Temp- 79.5
ph-8.0
Alk- 4 meq/l
Amm - 0
Nitrate -0
Nitrite- 0
Phos-0
Salinity -1.022
Calcium- 450ppm

Any thoughts would be appreciated...MK

With the information given it seems to me the corals are not happy with the attention they are getting from the tang. corals will generally close up and not respond as usual when fish are giving them more attention than desired. hope this helps. your parameters look real good. I suspect the fish. Purple tangs are known to pick at corals.

JH,

The corals are still getting the the unwanted attention from the tangs. Is there anything I can do to divert their attention from my corals...I hate to see the corals retreat like this. Any suggestions ?

MLK

Fish will develope many habbits, some not so much fun. I know the purple tang has a decent price and is very desirable, but, if picking at the corals as they are noted to do is of major concern, I would recommend removal of the coral or the fish. you can try adding different animals to try and take the tangs attention from the corals, but, the only sure way is to remove the fish. probably not what you wanted to hear. good luck. keep us posted. sometimes your friend just down the road with the same set up is not having problems, so go figure. just cant tell with fish until they show their true color/disposition. let us know what you decide to do.

Back