Red Sea Mg Test

Chris_150G

Reefing newb
2 Q's.

I have a Red Sea Mg test kit. I used it three times and I just don't know if its working right. I don't have any trouble following the directions but I am not getting the blue final reaction. It goes from red to purple. One time when I dumped in the whole ml it got pretty close to blue. Is the purple the final color? Is it supposed to go from red to purple to blue? If purple is the final color then my Mg is low!

What is a better or different test that you guys like?

:pooh::grumble::pooh::grumble::pooh::grumble:

Hiya
I get it to go to blue from purple with as little as one extra drop of solution C but I don't use the needle on the end as it takes too long to get enough solution C in to change it, and it changes fast. When it does go blue, read the amount that's left in the syringe as per instructions. In few seconds the blue in the test tube will go back purple again but that's just what happens, it MUST be blue to get an accurate reading tho. I think it's your sped that's the issue, biff the needle you don't need it. Good luck.

I have the same kit as well and it definitely turns blue when it hits the correct level of part C. If you let it sit long enough it will turn from blue back to purple.

I had the same problem as you have.Should of started pink,instead is red and finish blue,instead is purple.I really,really hate the red sea kits,all of them.I use only Salifert and ELOS for the more important test-mag,calcium and alkalinity.

I'm going to test my new salt water. If it has a proper level of salt, it ought to register on the test.

Its possible my Mg level is off the charts. I know it was probably a bad idea, but I have not been changing my water much and was just adding an additive called Essential Elements that has Mg in it. So maybe I have way too much.

The last 2 salifert Mg kits I bought were bad.So I switched to ELOS and never looked back. But ELOS Mg kits can be a PITA when trying to read the directions,I need a magnifying glass.

Back