red slime

nevereverhome

Reefing newb
whats the best way to rid your tank of red slime, treated it once with ultra life red slime remover worked alittle but not much, don't want to go crazy with the stuff. any natural way to rid the tank, also what causes it. 54 g. corner, fulval 404. 2 power heads,skimmer,u.v. sterilizer, snails, choc. star, blue legged hermits, and 5 fish, abuot 60 lbs live rock any help would be great thanks... kevin in ct.

I use garf.org's reef janitors. They will send a mix of snails that specifically eat the red slime and not the good coraline algae. In less than 2 weeks they have removed about 99% of the red slime I had in my aquarium (there are only a few places left of the glass with it)

I

Antired

I used ANTIRED when I had it. You need to follow the directions closely. Remove any carbon in your filter and you need a skimmer. Not sure what causes it.

I'd also recommend adding a powerhead pointed at the area. Red slime cannot establish itself or survive if there is a lot of current.

You might also want to get more surface turbulance going in your tank,raise the o2 levels seems to help with the red slime to.

Thanks to all the replied, I am going to take all into cosideration and put all the suggestions together and come up with a solution thanks again.. kevin in ct.

Thankyou for the question. Following is a link to an article that is an excert from a previous published article. Since several things can cause red slime algae/blue green and since I agree with the article I would like to recommend a good read for back ground. This article should give you the basics on what it is, how it is started, and how to deal with it. Hope this helps.

https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/...ticles/390-cyanobacteria-red-slime-algae.html

Back