Red Slime?

Carbon and phosban. The directions call for about 5 inches of media, but the phosban called for a specific amount. I used the prescribed amount of phosban and filled the rest with carbon. I've had it on for about 3 weeks and replaced the media after 2 weeks. Whats a fowler?

You can't run these together in the same reactor, you need a dual, or 2 reactors. The GFO should just slightly tumble in the reactor. Also the GFO will only extract a certain amount, once it reaches it's limit it needs to be replaced as it will become ineffective.

Your best bet is to ditch those bio-balls as previously suggested. I would keep replacing the GFO (phosban) every two weeks along with a 25% water change until you see a change in your amount of Cyano.

You may also want to reduce lighting during this time, as that helps the algae to flourish as well.

You can't run these together in the same reactor, you need a dual, or 2 reactors. The GFO should just slightly tumble in the reactor. Also the GFO will only extract a certain amount, once it reaches it's limit it needs to be replaced as it will become ineffective.

under "perfect" conditions the GFO would outlast the carbon for usefulness as in still absorbing but Ive never heard it can't be mixed?

Okay, I'll admit I went overboard. I took all of the live rock and the substrate out of the tank and physically removed all of the cyano. I removed about 15 bio-balls as well. I treated the tank(again) with Ultralife Red slime remover. In previous attempts I don't remember using air stones as recommended. I also turned off my protein skimmer. I have left that on and am monitoring its operation. I've got a canister filter that I will use daily on any cyano that appears. Anything else I need to do.
What stages should I use to change over to a refugium type filter system and how long should I wait?
Oh, and in case anybody didn't know, 120 volt currect will remove aptasia. It will also kill all of your corals, polyps, and inverts. The wire on the pump of the bio-cube dead shorted just before it enters the pump and wiped out everything but the fish. I love reefing.

Okay, I'll admit I went overboard. I took all of the live rock and the substrate out of the tank and physically removed all of the cyano. I removed about 15 bio-balls as well. I treated the tank(again) with Ultralife Red slime remover. In previous attempts I don't remember using air stones as recommended. I also turned off my protein skimmer. I have left that on and am monitoring its operation. I've got a canister filter that I will use daily on any cyano that appears. Anything else I need to do.
What stages should I use to change over to a refugium type filter system and how long should I wait?
Oh, and in case anybody didn't know, 120 volt currect will remove aptasia. It will also kill all of your corals, polyps, and inverts. The wire on the pump of the bio-cube dead shorted just before it enters the pump and wiped out everything but the fish. I love reefing.

Ouch that sucks..I still haven't gone chemical yet. I've removed someof my substrate that were larger chunks...sucked out what slime I could. Totally spent 4 hrs rearranging my reef. Put a powerhead along the back side of the tank. Also bought some macro and shoved it ina corner on top of one of the worse parts of cyno. So far it hasn't came back like it usually does. Oh I also Razor bladed the whole tank because it looked like it was growing on the tank. Also did 2, 5 gallon water changes within 3 days of eachother....Gunna wait a week and see what happens from here.

Okay, I performed the second water change today. While I was working on it I noticed these critters. Sorry I couldn't provide better pictures, but for some reason I can't download pictures from my Sanyo camera on this forum. These pictures were taken with my phone. They look like red miniature tube worms. Do they have anything to do with the problems that I have had?

Attachments

• IMG_20110118_214556.jpg
    IMG_20110118_214556.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20110118_214538.jpg
    IMG_20110118_214538.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 272
Back