Reef Aquarium Parameter Excel Spreadsheet

Matt

Reefer-In-Training
Hey all,

This is my first post on a LR forum and I thought it would be nice for my first post to be a contribution to the community. I have created an excel spreadsheet that allows you to keep track of your tank parameters over time.

There is a section where you enter your desired parameters and a section where you enter your parameter values over time. If the value is our of your desired range, then the text will turn red notifying you of such. I have also included graphs that automatically update based on the parameters you enter. (pretty cool huh?.)

Attached is a picture of the excel sheet I created. I'm not sure about the rules on attaching other files besides picture, so if you want the .xlsx (excel) file let me know and I will gladly give it to you.

I would GREATLY appreciate if anyone can give me advice as to any other parameters I should add or if my parameter range isn't appropriate. These are the levels that I am using in my tank right now and it's about 5 months in doing great!

I look forward to making future posts with questions/contributions

It would help if I actually attached the picture ... lol here it is

Attachments

• ParameterWatch.jpg
    ParameterWatch.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 12,362
very cool.. but I am an excel freak.... good job!

The one thing I would consider is doing a weekly 10%-15% rather than the big bi-weekly 25% water change.

Just a thought.

Thanks for your reply. I'm doing bi-weekly 25% water changes because I am usually a pretty busy person and it drives my girlfriend nuts when I ignore her to work on the tank (which I love to do haha). What are the pros/cons if doing a bi-weekly 25% water change vs the pros/cons of doing a weekly 10% water change?

This is my first tank since my early teenage years so I'm definitely a little rusty on my information, plus this is the first tank that I plan on having coral in so I'm soaking up information like a sponge these days so any advice would be appreciated.

It seems like I am allowed to attach .zip files, so I zipped up the excel sheet and attached it to this post. If you download it and use it, please let me know what you think about it as a reply on this thread. This will also help with letting other people know that it is not a virus, I know some people do not like to download .zip files from the internet, but this forum will not let me attach a .xlsx file so that's the only choice I had. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Parameter Excel Sheet.zip
    36.3 KB · Views: 4,605
Thanks for your reply. I'm doing bi-weekly 25% water changes because I am usually a pretty busy person and it drives my girlfriend nuts when I ignore her to work on the tank (which I love to do haha). What are the pros/cons if doing a bi-weekly 25% water change vs the pros/cons of doing a weekly 10% water change?

This is my first tank since my early teenage years so I'm definitely a little rusty on my information, plus this is the first tank that I plan on having coral in so I'm soaking up information like a sponge these days so any advice would be appreciated.

Changing out 25% at a time is harder on your livestock, and early on it helps keep your parameters more stable. Over time, as you get more corals in your tank changing weekly adds back in necessary trace elements more often so that you don't have to dose (until of course you get so many corals that water changes alone won't meet their demand!)

Matt, I came across your Excel spread sheet, it looks great. I have been tracking my perimeters in a layout I came up with in Publisher, but obviously, the data is in chart form. I tried formatting it with excel templates, but my charting is really mundane since I never use the program. I was trying to modify yours since it works well, but since I am brain dead, I cannot connect the graphs to the new inserted columns. Could you just duplicate the items that I follow on your chart and email it back to me? I know it probably is a simple process, but it has me mystified, and I don't know anyone who works with excel. I follow, Temp., ORP, Salinity, Alkalinity, Calcium, Iodine, Magnesium, Nitrates, Nitrite, Phosphates, Potassium, and Strontium. Thanks, Lou

Back