Reef vs. Live Rock Only

saiabiss

Reefing newb
I am currently in the preparation phase of my first saltwater en devour (research & money saving).

Ideally I would love to keep an entire ecosystem with corals, critters and fish, but the more I read, the more complicated it sounds.

Is their a recommendation for newbies to start out using live rock only, or is a reef system the best route to take?

:question:

If you want to save money, set up your tank using dry base rock. Then seed it with the live rock.

You can run only LR and have fish. This will be easier on your budget since you dont need to get expensive lights that the corals will need.

I did a fowlr in the dark ages...the 90s....Was fun but a reef is so much better IMHO. Do I have all the answers to stuff that happens...nope not by a long shot. If it was me to do over again I would have gone reef much sooner. Start off with simple things mushrooms, zoahs etc. You might decide to go further, you might not but even the easy corals are really cool. The "cool" fish at least the ones I like are always 100 gallon and up...dont have that. Cant afford that right now. For me it is easier to spend $80 on a coral....that is more then likely going to live in spite of me. Then the same for a fish that might just be floating the next morning. :twocents:

As for saving money you can always start out as FOWLR and go reef as the budget allows. I strongly suggest you buy reef capable lights to start off with though. You may think your saving money buying cheap, fish only, lights, but trust me...... Your just throwing money away on cheap lights!

Lots of folks start out FOWLR. I did. With cheap lights to boot. It didn't take me long to feel confident enough to get some corals. I wasn't super successful at first. Some of those corals are still in my tank, a few aren't. Nothing like the added movement and color of the corals though.

Def. start with just a live rock tank. Reef tanks require an established tank thats been properly cycled. You can slowly add corals. To save money and time its best to take it slowly so you don't lose anything as corals tend to be pickier with the exception of some hardy ones

Remember if you are going to eventually upgrade to a reef tank, make sure you choose livestock that is reef safe.

Fish can be extremely tough to get out of a tank once put in ;)

Have you looked at the small cube tanks at your local dealer? I have seen some amazing ones and you get everything, on a budget. I think that is a smart way to start and learn. Then you can graduate up to a large tank with more wisdom. AND, if you flunk out, and MANY do, you aren't out a kings ransom.

I have a 95 gallon and am just getting it right.. I think I'm in about $4000 or so at this point. AND.. I'm just now getting to where I think I will be able to risk some decent corals next week or so.... my fingers are crossed. I'm waiting for my bio-pellets to cycle in my reactor.

Give them a look-see they are AMAZING!

Never, EVER, count the cash you have in a system! It will make you sick. I tried to keep up with mine for a while. When I hit $5k I figured I better stop keeping track! That was about 9 months ago.

LOL... true for any serious hobby.. you can not put a value on quality time spent (that includes what it costs to achieve quality equipment for a hobby). I have no idea what I have spent, but guessed about the $4k... it doesn't matter.. it is quality time. .. wink...

Back