ReefKeeper & ATO

Kizmar

#derpface
So, as the title suggests, I'm using a float switch to switch my BRS ATO pump on and off.

I've noticed the switch turns on and off too much when the level is just right. Anyone else using the ReefKeeper for something similar? I'm wondering if there's a way to set the pump so it will run for another minute after the float switch circuit is "Open". That way it will put a little more water in and won't keep switching on and off because it's right on the line.

I have been using one like this AutoTopoff.com the top switch stops the water flow and the bottom switch opens it. I have also hooked if directly to the water source and an ro/di system so no more fresh tank tank.

I think on brs tv they show how to set it so the pump will come on for a set time, like 15 to 20 seconds. I know it can be done. I dont have my RXL in yet so I dont have hands on knowledge on this but I know I saw a video where they did it.

Is the hose that is dumping the top off water into the tank under the water line? If so you could be creating a siphon and draining some of the water back into the storage tub causing the ATO to need to turn back on again.

Is the hose that is dumping the top off water into the tank under the water line? If so you could be creating a siphon and draining some of the water back into the storage tub causing the ATO to need to turn back on again.

Nope. The hose is a few inches above the water line.

I did just notice that the float isn't at the top and the switch still isn't turning on. This thing is a little wonky. Water might be causing the circuit to stay open? Nothing ever just works. ;)

I think on brs tv they show how to set it so the pump will come on for a set time, like 15 to 20 seconds. I know it can be done. I dont have my RXL in yet so I dont have hands on knowledge on this but I know I saw a video where they did it.

Now that you mention it, I think I saw a video about the BRS dosing pumps with a RKE. I'll have to check out their site again...

Ya, i had heard of that happening with a few of these systems which is why I went with this product: AutoTopoff.com

But I didnt look far enough into them to see if there was an easy fix for that.

I remember checking out this site a while back. Looks like quality stuff.

I ended up buying the $15 DA float switches cause I already had the RKE. If this turns out to be a buggy situation I'll be heading to ATO dot com. ;)

Does the dosing pump plug directly into that DS1?

I dont know about the RK, but with my Profilux you can set a delay, like 3 seconds. In other words, it will take 3 seconds of constant water level to trigger the switch. This way water movement or waves in the sump won't constantly trigger it on and off.

There is a timer options section in the switch function setup, but I'm not quite sure how it works. I sent an email to the DA support to see if they have any suggestions. :)

I dont know about the RK, but with my Profilux you can set a delay, like 3 seconds. In other words, it will take 3 seconds of constant water level to trigger the switch. This way water movement or waves in the sump won't constantly trigger it on and off.
Geez d2 most of us dont have swimming pools for sumps :mrgreen:....but if he goes have big sump its not a bad idea..

OK so here's the response I got from DA, which answered my question on how to use the timers:
Here is a step-by-step example. Each setup is unique; be sure to program your system appropriately for your specific situation.

How to Setup a Channel to use the Switch function on the RKL

In this example, Channel 1 will activate when Switch A is open. Channel 1 will turn off when Switch B is closed. If Switch A closes and Switch B is open, the Channel will follow 'Timer 2' and run for 1 minute, or until Switch B closes.

Menu > Modules > PC4 > CH1
  • Mode: Auto (‘Auto’ allows the Channel to be controlled via the programming)
  • Function: Switch
  • On Device: SWA (This uses the switch connected to Switch A)
  • On When: Open (This activates the Channel when the switch is in an Open state)
  • Off Device: SWB (This uses the switch connected to Switch B)
  • Off When: Closed (This De-activates the Channel when the switch is in a Closed state)
  • Timer: 2 (This will allow you to associate a Timer, set to run for a period of time)
  • In Standby: Ignore
  • Default: Off (This Channel will turn off in the event that it loses communication with the Head Unit.)
  • Save (Make sure the settings are saved.)

Setting a Switch-Activated Timer:

Menu > Timers > Timer 2
  • Set the Days of Week: ------- (Not Used - Leave this default)
  • Start time: 12:00:00A (Not Used - Leave this default)
  • On Duration: 00:01:00
  • Off Duration: 00:00:00 (Not Used - Leave this default)
  • Repeat Count: 0 (Not Used - Leave this default)
  • Oscillate: Off (Not Used - Leave this default)
  • Random: No (Not Used - Leave this default)
  • Save (Save your settings)

If you do not have a second float switch, you can leave the off device blank. Be sure to test the settings to make sure they operate as expected before installing the ATO setup.

I only have one switch on my sump, so I'm using the second list of steps and the note at the end for my ATO. I set it to run for 5 minutes when the switch is "Closed" (which means the float is down).

good info, I thought I just had to live with it switching on and off every 15 minutes. I will fix this tomorrow, Thanks

Back