Refugium Construction

from what I understand about pods. you wont see them unless you use a flashlight at night when all the lights are off. They hide in the cheato and lr/sand in the fuge. Heres the pic I promised

Attachments

• DSC00091.jpeg
    DSC00091.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 235
Update:
The pods started coming to life after a while. I bought some macro algae from someone off of a local SW club website and now I have pods everywhere!! It is exciting to watch. There are so many that I can see them at any time of day.
The skimmer on my HOB fuge is amazing!! Sometimes I have to empty it everyday. I still think that the collection cup is the wrong size but with all the rubber bands I put around it it works great.

Ted - I am worried that with the foam in the outlet pipe that the pods are not getting into the main tank. Do you think that it is ok?

Update:
The pods started coming to life after a while. I bought some macro algae from someone off of a local SW club website and now I have pods everywhere!! It is exciting to watch. There are so many that I can see them at any time of day.
The skimmer on my HOB fuge is amazing!! Sometimes I have to empty it everyday. I still think that the collection cup is the wrong size but with all the rubber bands I put around it it works great.

Ted - I am worried that with the foam in the outlet pipe that the pods are not getting into the main tank. Do you think that it is ok?
From what I have read supposedly the pods can get through anyway. However just to be sure when I flip my cheeto everyday I take the sponge off for a little while. I am also changing the sponge daily (flipping between each half) That way I dont get a nitrate factory going. When I flip the cheeto the fish go nuts. Really get into a feeding frenzy just wish my eye site was better cant really see what they are eating.

Last edited:
I will try that. I took it out last night to rinse off the sponge and have continued to leave it out for right now. The bubbles aren't too bad but it will have to go back in. That is a good idea to take it out when I stir up the macro's.

Thanks!

I am using that same Aqua Traders HOB fuge on my 10g frag tank. I filled the entire bottom with sand. It's about 5" or 6" deep. Thats my DSB to remove nitrates.

The collection cup is too small and it slides back down into the skimmer chamber. Buy a fatter O-ring from the hardware store and it works perfect.

If you're having to empty the collection cup every day, it's too low. I'll bet the water in the cup is a light greenish color. Raise it up 1/4" per day until it start to put out dark green/brown goop. My collection cup fills up about once a week or maybe 10 days.

I am using the CPR HOB fuge on my 30g display tank. It also has the built in skimmer. I filled the bottom with sand to create a DSB. Works great. Collection cup fills up about once a week.

Ted - how are you cleaning your fuge? Mine is not producing bubbles like it was so I just wanted to know what your maintenance was like with your fuge.

no one has heard from ted in like a week, we dont know where he went, but i'm thinking about trying to call him tonight just to check in....

Back