Refugium question.

vonjankmon

Reefing newb
I am setting up a new tank in the a couple of months and I am going to plumb a refugium into the system but I was wondering if anyone can make any recommendations on how to ensure that a fairly steady stream of copepods and amphipods make it into the main tank.

Pods do not seem to be attracted to light so maybe make the pump inlet a shaded area so that when the lights in the refugium come on they head to that area. Just thinking right now but thought that I would ask here. My new tank is going to be a 90 gallon, right now I have a pair of seahorses and a firefish but I will be expanding out. Considering the possibility of mandrin fish or pipefish so keeping a good supply of pods would be even more essential than it is now to provide the occasional snack for my seahorses.

Thanks,

A couple times a week, I take a pair of tongs and stir all the macroalgae in my fuge up. The pods break free and are released into the water, and then they're washed into the tank. They'll gradually spill over when their population gets large enough in the fuge.

Back