Refugium Question

For it to have a noticeable effect on parameters, don't you need a significant sized fuge? I plan on building a 10g fuge, but I do not expect to see any parameter change. It is more for the pods. Please correct me if I am dead wrong.

A fuge is a great place to breed pods. And again... any nutrient export will help so while the change may not be "noticeable" with a 10g, it'll still help.

So would a 3 gallon fuge make a noticeable difference on a 20G tank? I am not really looking to breed pods too much, more for maintaining better water.

So would a 3 gallon fuge make a noticeable difference on a 20G tank? I am not really looking to breed pods too much, more for maintaining better water.
You may not notice the difference right away but it will help with nutrient export and water stability.

Ok, so its actually 2.5G not 3 but regardless it will help keep my ammonia and nitrates down a decent amount? I do not expect it to magically make my water perfect or allow me to forgo water changes.

Ok, so its actually 2.5G not 3 but regardless it will help keep my ammonia and nitrates down a decent amount? I do not expect it to magically make my water perfect or allow me to forgo water changes.
Any sort of algae growing will help, it's not perfect, but it's better than a poke in the eye. I'm installing a 29 gallon under my 57 rimless this weekend with a 3" sand bed, caulerpa/ chaeto and a few pieces of rock to help starve out what little hair algae I have.

Back