Remove shrooms from zoas

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I posted a while back pictures of my zoa having a type of mushroom growing on it. Well now it looks to be totally takin gover the whole thing. It split a while back and the other half of it has some other type of mushroom growing on it now also. I was told to just pull the mushroom off of the zoa but I'm worried about killing it or having it spray the stuff I heard it shoots out on me or in the tank. I was thinking of taking some of the tank water in a container and sort of operating on it in that by pulling the mushrooms off of both of them. Any tips on how to do this without killing it or ticking them off? Pics below of what they did look like and now.

Just when the "infection" started:
IMG_0329.jpg

While it was splitting:
IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

Couple months ago:
IMG_0454.jpg

Now. One half then the other half.
2011-11-08193956.jpg

2011-11-08194012.jpg

Or are they past helping and should I just put them out of their misery? I still have one more zoa and I don't want it catching any of this thing.

You could try ripping off the mushroom, or sponge whatever it is, but also see if you can frag the zoa, so atleast you have a 'spare' so to call it.

Removed the sponges from both of the listed zoas. That first one was pretty big and I probably saw about ten of those micro brittle stars come out of the zoa itself. I split both of them up and placed one of the pieces in my 40 so we will see if that works or not. Otherwise, a successful operation and everything is back in. Hope they get nice and big again.

Back