resealing from the outside anyone?

Kazarko

Reefing newb
I was wondering if a tank can be resealed from the outside. Every day I see more salt creep coming up from the bottom where the frame meets the glass even after wiping it off. I do not want to disturb my sand bed by removing everything from the tank to reseal it from the inside.
Just wondering if this is doable or not.

I'm wondering if you might just be seeing the salt collecting from dripping down from the top of the tank? I get a lot of salt buildup along the bottom of my tank from dribbling water out when I mess in the tank.

as for resealing... I wouldn't risk it, unless there's something besides silicone to use? Silicone lets off an awful lot of acetic acid when it's curing, which could get inside the tank ad screw up pH. that's juts conjecture though, I've never done it.

I dont think that the little amount of acetic acid, which I believe is vinegar correct?, will mess up pH that much. People add joe's juice and apstasio X without messing with it. However, I doubt that you would seal the tank. Silicone doesnt adhere well to wet objects.

When I thought I had a leak at the bottom of my tank, I believe it was ccCapt that told me that someone had success repairing a small leak on the outside using Super Glue. You may want to try that, since silicone has to cure dry for it to work (if your tank is leaking, the silicone will never set up). Super Glue can cure wet.

Interesting, maybe I will try that instead. Would epoxy work as well? I have some 2 part liquid epoxy. Superglue always seems too brittle to me(all attempts to glue frags with superglue has failed after the glue broke apart under stress).

I dont think that the little amount of acetic acid, which I believe is vinegar correct?, will mess up pH that much. People add joe's juice and apstasio X without messing with it. However, I doubt that you would seal the tank. Silicone doesnt adhere well to wet objects.

vinegar is typically 5% acetic acid, but he stuff coming off silicone when it cures is ALL acetic acid vapor, so that's problem #1. #2-- adding acid to your tank does definitely drop the pH-- see biff's kalk disaster for confirmation. joe's juice and aptasia x aren't acidic-- they're basic, but besides that, they're actually a solid suspension, so the basic bit is a solid anyway and doesn't participate much in the pH equilibrium.

vinegar is typically 5% acetic acid, but he stuff coming off silicone when it cures is ALL acetic acid vapor, so that's problem #1. #2-- adding acid to your tank does definitely drop the pH-- see biff's kalk disaster for confirmation. joe's juice and aptasia x aren't acidic-- they're basic, but besides that, they're actually a solid suspension, so the basic bit is a solid anyway and doesn't participate much in the pH equilibrium.

Thanks tanked. For some reason, I always thought that they were acidic. But I guess that is why you are a chemist and Im an electrician :)

hmm i figured that apstasia-x was a suspension, but whats the solid? something crystiline i would guess... cause dosent it get inside and tear it up from the inside?

It is some sort of a solid. As soon as it hits the water, it solidifies. I don't know what it is exactly, but that's how it works. You squirt it on the nem's mouth, and it becomes a solid that it ingests, and then it basically kills it from the inside out. But it's a purple liquid in the bottle.

Back