RO/DI choices and questions!

DAvis

Reefer Madness
I guess I'm not the only one with water on the mind! I would like to buy a small system, maybe a Corallife Pure flo 50 gpg, or something similar. I'm in cold country, Syracuse NY. The cold water tap from October through May runs below 50 F, sometimes a lot colder than that. My question is, do I need to temper the water for an RO/DI system to be effective?

Also, any recommendations on a small 50gpd unit?

Thanks!
David

I don't think you'll need to worry about the temp of the water flowing from the pipe through the unit in terms of efficiency. However, you will want to bring the top off water up to tank temp before putting it in there. :)

The colder water will slow down the RO water production, but not the quality. There really isn't any way to warm the water in the winter because you still need to feed the unit under pressure.

There really isn't any way to warm the water in the winter because you still need to feed the unit under pressure.
Thank Larry, that's what I thought. I have hot/cold taps on the sink I'm going to use. I could adjust temp and run at say 70F, but that also would be another expense!

My RO/DI unit says in the instructions to ONLY run cold water from the faucet through the RO/DI unit. It says using warm or hot water can destroy the RO membrane.

My RO/DI unit says in the instructions to ONLY run cold water from the faucet through the RO/DI unit. It says using warm or hot water can destroy the RO membrane

That answers that! Thanks PRC

My RO unit also says not to use warm water. The instructions said hook it up to the COLD line only.

Makes sense - who wants to pay for the natural gas to heat the water so you can throw 70% of it down the drain?

Technically cold water does slow it down, but I don't know why. I was just reading that the other day.

Also, hot water contains more minerals and crap in it than cold water. So why would you want to start with a worse water?
I don't, that's why I was askin'!
My RO unit also says not to use warm water. The instructions said hook it up to the COLD line only
I figured that, but some manufacturers say water temp should be between 60 - 72 F. That's why I was asking opinions. I got my answers!

Thanks all.

Now how's about a recommendation. What do you use for a system?

Filmtec membranes, the most common membranes sold in the US, are speced at certain standard conditions:

77 degree water, 50 psi, 250 ppm softened feed water, and about a 5.5 to 1 waste water to purified water ratio.

Nothing says these conditions are ideal - just standard for purposes of specifying the performance of the membrane.

Water over 113 degrees F will void the warranty on a Filmtec membrane.

Russ

I ended up with Pure-Flo II by Coralife. I wasn't going to get Coralife, but they had an RO/DI unit that gave 50gpd. The 3 filters are cheap and the membrane, though expensive (55 - 85 bucks, depending) can last 2 -3 years if routinely back-flushed. My LFS ordered it for me (a few dollars more than online, but I want to support them!), and so far so good. The waste water is about 2-1, which seems too good, but the gpd output is good. I'm getting about 1.75 gallons/hour. That's about 42 gpd with very cold tap water. I'm happy with that. I'll get a TDS meter to make sure all is OK.

Thanks for all your collective help!
Cheers,
David

Back