RO/DI install

Axegod

Axegod
Hello,

After buying my tank in summer, I am still not set up yet. No worries, will be soon enough.

I am looking to put my tank on my second floor, and also have a fridge on my main floor. Has anyone set up a system that has a line for fridge/icemaker and a splitter for a top-off for a tank? What about some sort of pump to push the RO/DI water up from basement to first/second floor? Am I reaching too much on this? I will have a 90 G so expect to have a min of 5 g/week evaporation - so I can carry a bucket no problem but wanted to see if this problem was solved in the past before I hurt my brain.:frustrat:

Cheers

A lot of people have the sump in the basement just top off in the sump and get a good return pump to pump back to display tank---- Same would apply if you wanted to pump only top off water back up.

I'm sure you've already considered this but just to be safe....make sure your house and the floor beneath the tank are capable of supporting the weight. The tank, stand, water, rock and sand together will likely weight well over 1500 pounds...possibly approaching a short ton. It's a lot of weight to put on a second floor. Just make sure it goes in a secure place against a load-bearing wall. :-)

Anyway, there are a number of options for you. If you want to pump water from your basement to your second floor you'll need a really good pump and some pretty crafty plumbing skills to get through the walls and flooring and stuff but it's certainly possible.
To be honest, though, if you don't mind carrying the buckets it would save you a lot of time and money. :-)

did you look on ebay the only thing i see that i wouldnt like on that on is the di filters are white and not clear so you would have to open them up to check. as far as drinking water just put a Y with a valve after the ro then you have a tap for drinking water

The pressure coming out of the RO/DI should be enough to get water to the upper floor. It's the same pressure as your water coming out of your tap, just less flow.

If you can fish a 1/4 line up through dead space or closets you'd be set.

I have my Icemaker line tee'd off of my RO/DI feed line with an expansion tank to store it and maintain more pressure. So the water dispenser puts out more water.

Back