RO system Q - portable or perm??

NotiReef

Reefing newb

I am looking into getting a RO water filter. I wanted to know...is the permanent under sink filter better than the portable one? I have seen the 4 stage portable filters and they seem to do the same thing as the other ones....just wanted to know which one most prefer? :question:
Also......will the 4 stage do just as good of a job as the 5 stage? Should i bump it up to a 5 or 6 stage?? UGH!! i know too many questions but i just want to make sure i get one that does the job and doesnt cost way too much.

Buy the best one you can afford. I have about $200 in my 6 stage unit, but I had to buy a pump because my water pressure is only about 25psi.

Permanent or portable?

I've never seen a portable unit. The permanent ones aren't that hard to hook up. Took me 2 trips to Home Depot and about 3hrs to hook mine up. I live in an apartment and I wanted it to be easy to unhook it when I move. A couple fittings ($10) from the plumbing isle at the store and I was in business. When I buy a house, I can unhook mine in about 10 minutes and the apartment manager will never know it was even installed.

so as I was reading thru other posts on RO units I came across purewaterclub.com
I see they have the portable units that I was talking about but they only go up to stage 4. I am leaning towards a stage 6 or maybe even a stage 7 RO system.
This maybe a stupid question but I am a total newbie and learning as I go along.....If i hook up the under sink unit wont I be using RO water EVERY time I turn the faucet on? (most likely it will be hooked to the kitchen sink)

I say get the permanent version. IMO dont hook it up under the kitchen sink because then you have got to find a place to keep your water and garbage cans in the kitchen kinda clash...haha. Find an out of the way spot near a water line and mount it there. Garages and basements work great.

If i hook up the under sink unit wont I be using RO water EVERY time I turn the faucet on? (most likely it will be hooked to the kitchen sink)

No. The RODI unit is plumbed into the sink's water line, but they run independently of each other. When the RODI unit is on, the RODI water will come out of the RODI unit, not the faucet. And when you turn the faucet on, that will not be RODI water.

not to hyjack this thread but were can i get a part that conncets the waste water to a pvc drain line. like one under the sink or bathtub

Back