RO water question

Jojo1628

Reefing newb
so I've been using the Spectrapure RO 3 stage filtration system for like a month now...one of my source has PSI of 40, but contains so many rust sediments that freaked me out after just few uses, I can see the entire sediment filter turn brown from white...:shock:

then I moved it to another water source and changed out the sediment filter, there's a lot less rust, been running for several days and it's all good, but the strange thing is, initially when I hooked up the water source, PSI is at 35, then it slowly went down to like 10 PSI and hangs around there:grumble:...I'm probably gonna try another water source and see what happens, but if I'm considering getting a booster pump, what are some your recommendations? Do I really need one or just use the old water source at 40 PSI but with rust particles...

Do you have a TDS meter to test the water coming out? My filter has a brownish color to it but my water still is testing at zero.

no I didn't know what a TDS meter was...so I never had one...but reason why I switched water source is because i start noticing the pressure dropping from 40 to like 30ish with the first water source with rust particles...so i didn't want to run it further to clog the system...

Hi - here's a link to booster pump: http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Sub=151&showspecials=151
I have been looking at one myself because I have moved countries and now have 40PSI.
Reason I send you this link is because this is where I bought my system from and continually drop them an email with any questions I have on RO/DI - they really know what they are talking about, are responsive and good customer service = parts have been replaced even if there was just a risk they were causing an issue & they have really helped troubleshoot any issue.
Their reco is to maintain about 50PSI - if your incoming pressure is not at this, then you may want to consider a booster pump.
I have a TDI meter on my system which even at 40PSI is reading '000'ppm so I'm tempted not to invest in a pump, but there is little doubt that any system will function better at correct conditions, which probably means that things like filters/resin will last longer (even though you might be getting '000'ppm)
Hope this helps :-)

Your filter may be working just fine. But there's no way to know that without a TDS meter. A TDS meter is essential if you have your own RODI unit. That way you know if your unit is working, and when filters need to be changed. You can get one cheap. Mine cost less than $20 (Ebay).

thanks for all the inputs...I found out what the issue was, my carbon filter was actually clogged, no wonder the pressue keeps dropping, but this unit is only like a few weeks old, so never came to my mind that the filter would be clogged up so fast, I think it's prob from the initial water source which there were so much rust sediments...so after changing out, pressure is back up again to 40 psi, but I still got a booster pump, hopefully i can operate at 60 psi for optimal performance...

Back