Rod's Food

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
I went to a Frag Swap (My first) last weekend. I met a guy named Rod Buehler who own's Rod's Food...I'm not sure, but I think he's a smaller start up company. Anyway, talked to him for awhile at the swap and he gave me some free samples of his foods. Specifically Rod's Food Original and some algae sheets.

Anyway, I'd like to give this guy a plug on the forum...Seems like a solid guy who knows his stuff and my fish LOVE this food. Some of my fish can be a little finicky about introducing a new food. They all eat mysis and my herbivores eat algae sheets. But I've tried pellets, some concoction from instant ocean that sucked, emerald entree and they just don't want anything to do with it.

I dropped some of Rod's Original into the tank and every fish went absolutely bonkers over it. My cardinal swam the length of the tank to get to it...(Normally I spotfeed the dumb SOB like he's a coral. LOL)

As a small business owner myself, I think it's important to help the little guys when possible. So that's my plug, check it out if you're looking to add something to your meal time regimen.

Rod's Food Original. They have it at my LFS...

It's all (well, the majority) I feed my tank for the past year.
Been mixing it with some garlic juice lately.

It is an AWESOME food. I like that it's something that I can feed everything in my tank with. I've been using it for years too. I've tried a few of the small all-in-one brands before, and Rod's Food was definitely the one that my tank enjoyed the most.

I've been using it for a couple of years now,great stuff!

Many online vendors and LFS across the country carry his fish food.I don't think he's a small business owner anymore.

I really like Rod's. I add a bit mysis because my ponies like the bigger chunks. The predator mix is too big and the Orange label is too small. I feed orange and add mysis. Feeds the whole tank and the ponies really like it! Mucks up the water quality but it's totally worth the extra water change or two. Two thumbs up for me!

My lfs has it....$20...OUCH (but maybe the guy was teasing me cuz he does that a lot :shock: I have no herbivores though, so I passed.

I really like Rod's. I add a bit mysis because my ponies like the bigger chunks. The predator mix is too big and the Orange label is too small. I feed orange and add mysis. Feeds the whole tank and the ponies really like it! Mucks up the water quality but it's totally worth the extra water change or two. Two thumbs up for me!

Catherine are you sure it's not one and a half thumbs from you? :bounce:

So,is it really this good?Wonton, did you mean to say carnivores?What is it like?Does it come in cubes or flat packs?Sounds like something my triggs would like.Just went to the website,love the mystery poking out..lol

Last edited:
It comes in flat packs...they have quite a few different ones...The original is a concoction of a bunch of different things,

Original: Shrimp, Scallop, Oyster, Clam, Squid, Octopus, Perch, Green Nori (porphyra sp), Red unroasted nori (porphyra sp) Mysis, Krill, Pacific plankton (Euphausia sp.) Brine shrimp, Frozen red cyclops, Fish eggs, Oyster eggs, Golden pearls (all sizes), Broccoli, carrot, Garlic, Selco, Astaxanthin (Haematococcus pluvialis), Beta-meal (Dunalliella Salina), Freshly harvested rotifers, freshly hatched baby brine shrimp.

Predator: Shrimp, Scallop, Oyster, Clam, Squid, Octopus, Perch, Green Nori (porphyra sp), Red unroasted nori (porphyra sp) Krill, Brine shrimp, Golden pearls, Garlic, Selco, Astaxanthin (Haematococus pluvialis).

ROD'S FOOD -Providing your salt water aquarium with the finest food.

OK,well since i'm out in BFE,the closest store that sells it is over 100 miles away:frustrat:Can't imagine shipping would be cheap!!I am impressed with what i've read so far.Thanks for bringing this food to my attention.Looks like a weekend trip to Pittsburgh:D,never a bad thing

Ah, yeah, well I had a tang for about 2 weeks...then it died :( I'd do the Rod's Fish Food once I get some herbivores based on everyones' reviews here.

It says the original formula feeds the entire reef, fish and corals. Does anyone use just this?

I have been using it since last weekend, along with the herbivore for my tangs (which is just algae sheets) My fish love it, I can't say that I can see a discernible difference in any of my corals as of yet. Basically what I've been doing is dusting my corals with it through a turkey baster....I haven't seen a crazy growth explosion, but nothing is dead.:D

Back