Royal Gramma questions

Becca

Reefing newb
So I wanted to find out what people experiences with these guys have been?
I got one about 3 days ago and he is still hiding, he came out once yesterday for food but when he was done eating he went right back into hiding.
I can see him when he hides, he goes into a little hole and sticks his head out but that’s it.

Is that normal? or should I be worried?

His tank mates are
2 O. Clowns
1 Filefish
6 blue leg hermits
3 red leg hermits
2 sea hares
1 sea star
Snails
2 cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
1 feather duster
and some coral
Nitrite, ammonia, and nitrate all 0
Ph 8.4
Calcium 420

anything else you need to know please ask.

Thanks for your help
B

It's pretty common for these fish to hide. I've had one in the past that would always swim in one spot, right outside of a hole by a rock so that in case he had to retreat real quick he could. Let him get comfortable with the tank and he should start coming out a little more often, however, they don't really tend to swim around the entire tank much.

yeah its fine. As long as he is eating he will be fine. Mine usto hide but he doesnt anymore he just chills kinda on the right top side of my tank right about my rocks. He usto have 2 holes he wouldnt come out of for about a week and now he doesnt hide that much.

we had one...had...It went into hiding as soon as we got it...we saw it's little head poking out for a few days...and then we didn't see it as all. and havn't seen it since. We know it died, we just have no idea at all where it's body went. We thought maybe the crabs ate it, but we didn't even find bones when we cleaned the tank???

Even though they are so pretty, my favorite colors, we won't be getting another one...I like fish I can see :)

I have tried them several times. I find them to be quite skiddish. The three that I have killed had tankmates that challenged them for food and even the clownfish were able to scare him off. Mine always ate, but all of them finally died.

-Doc

the question to your gramma is about the same as others have said the do hide a lot i own one of them my self with a clown maroon ,cleaner shrimp,blue hippo tang ,lavender tang, huge in size and a green mandarin and lots of different corals also all seem to get along very well when i first got the gramma he was to shy hide a lot in the rock work but did eat well after about 2 weeks in the tank he came around and started to explore the tank more and now seems to like to swim with the blue hippo up and across the tank and with the clown but 1 year later he still alive and still loves to play with the tangs swimming in and out and around the rock work like they are playing follow the leader so i think all in all is just takes time keep a eye on him and most tanks mates they will adapt to so hang in there he will come around as long as he eats he should be fine (nothing but time ).

Royal Grammas are actually a deepwater Caribbean fish used to low lighting.It may take a few weeks before the fish gets use to our bright lighting.I've had one for years and it really never stayed out in the open often.Like yours,it would eat then retreat to its home in the the rocks.

I have one. At first Crown Royal was very shy. But after a few days he started venturing out for short times. Now he's out all the time. He can stand his own ground when someone tries to pick on him. Also he has Kodax (foxface) his protector that keeps peace in the tank.

dangit piggy
when i got a royal gramma, i was going to name him "crown". But now that you have it, i got to think of something else cool.

Back