Rubble baffles

tritan

Reefing newb
I just saw a picture of a fuge that someone had put what looks like rock rubble in the baffle sections. Seemed like a pretty smart idea seeing the amount of water flow through there.

Im curious if anyone else does that? Im assuming you could just toss dry rubble in there and it will eventually turn beneficial.

I had a sponge in the section of the sump where the water drains, but I ended up taking it out because it got really, really gross and it couldn't be cleaned anymore. Since then, I have always had a bunch of little particles in the water column.

I could easily place some rubble in the same spot as the sponge, but would the rubble also have to be cleaned like the sponge was?

I dont clean mine, but if a lot of debris got stuck it would be a gokd idea. Mine stays pretty clean, though, so like I said, I dont need to.

I have one right before the return section of my sump (where all the pumps for everything are, including the return), and it catches anything that makes it past the filter sock and the fuge/baffles. I really don't want something going through and ruining a pump, or a small particle of rock going through my UV and cracking a bulb. I clean my filter socks twice a week at the very least, they get nasty fast.

Yup, my sump has all sorts of assorted bits of rubble that's slowly accumulated over the years. I'm honestly not sure where half of it came from!

Back