Rushy's first 55g Reef Effort - V Early Stages

The only thing I am not fascinated by in my tank is my hair algae. Actually it is pretty amazing how that crap grows so fast. Damn, I guess it's all fascinating.

Have fun and welcome!

Lookin good Karl. You have indeed found the right place, this is the best reef forum on the web. :) Welcome and make yourself at home.

Lookin good Karl. You have indeed found the right place, this is the best reef forum on the web. :) Welcome and make yourself at home.

Again thanks Keaton! I certainly have, the welcome has been very warm and the comments encouraging. My post a couple of new pics later, modified the setup a little (hopefull for the better!) :D

Looks great! Seems roles are reversed in my house, since I'm the wife with the saltwater obsession :) My husband doesn't mind as long as I throw him diy projects for the tank along the way.

Thought I'd share with you all, the latest developments. I'm all set now, initial setup is complete. Skimmer went in yesterday, along with another Koralia (a No.2 this time) and another couple of pieces of LR (upto 27kg, now and that's it, really happy with the scale and volume), could help but have a tinker with it either, and changed the scape a bit. Also after much swearing managed to get the backgound in, that was a worse job than getting the skimmer to prime. Bought a few new residents as well to get the party started! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Setup Complete 1.jpg
    Setup Complete 1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 298
  • Setup Complete 2.jpg
    Setup Complete 2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 278
  • Setup Complete 6.jpg
    Setup Complete 6.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 276
  • Setup Complete 7.jpg
    Setup Complete 7.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 287
  • New Resident out for a stroll.jpg
    New Resident out for a stroll.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 279
Yesterday, although still not ready to introduce fish yet, I couldn't help but reserve and pay for my first (soon to be) inhabitant! Been in my local LFS quite a lot of late, obviously, and this rather pretty Black Tomato Clown kept giving me the eye, I couldn't dismiss her advances any longer!!!! The LFS will look after her until I've finished cycling, but I cant wait until I can bring her home! :bounce:

Just another thing, just reading what some of you guys have said about the Red Sea Prizm, it's a bit of a worry, I wish I'd obviously seen the comments before I bought, however it's in now, but are they really that bad, and will I need to upgrade or should I, in the not to distant future?? The thing that sold the Prizm to me was the neatness of it, and because of the location of my setup. I must admit I bought it without too much due consideration other than the aesthetic of it, and it was bought before I'd managed to absorb a lot the information that I have done over the last few weeks, especially from here. Thanks as always guys for any pointers :D

I've not use the prizm skimmers,so I dont know how well it will work.BUT,I would give it some time and see how it does.You never know,it may really do great on your system for quiet a while.
I use to run a seaclone skimmer.And with all the bad you hear about them,the one I had did a great job on my tank.
So just give it a shot.

I had the Prism Deluxe. Piece of crap. It's very sensative on the adjustments. You need to keep the water/bubble line just below the taper in the neck. If you have it lower, you will get very little skimmate and if it's too high it will overflow the cup. I also had better results when I didn't plug the airline into the nipple on the collection cup. I just let the airline hang over the back.

I also used to have a Prizm. They are fine for small tanks, or tanks with a low bioload. If you stock your tank slowly and carefully, you'll probably be fine, but I can guarantee that you'll want to get a better skimmer eventually.

Back