Rushy's first 55g Reef Effort - V Early Stages

Yep,water changes will bring your nitrates down.
Happy I could help:D

Carried out a 5% change tonight Yote with RO, then tested the SG, pH, Nitrate and Alkalinity, the values are really encouraging: -

SG - 1.026 (from 1.028)
pH - 8.5 (No Change)
Nitrate - 5mg/l (from 10mg/l)
Alkalinity - 12.3dKH (from 15.6dKH)

Another partial change this week with RO and we'll be there I think, thanks for all your help!! :D

Nothing wrong with those parameters at all.Wheres your nitrites at now? Have they zeroed out?

Hi Yote, I'm pretty chuffed, I might be an excited little boy (well as much as is appropriate for a 36yo anyway!!!) in the LFS on Saturday Morning!! :mrgreen: I didn't test for nitrites last night as I had tested them the night before and only tested the parameters I thought that would be significantly affected by the change. Will test them tonight and tomorrow though in preparation for (hopefully) bringing home the Black Tomato Clown I have reserved. However, the last two tests, they had pretty much zeroed out.

And just a side note, I'm now firmly in the 'RED SEA PRIZM SKIMMERS ARE CRAP' camp. I guess they wouldn't be quite so bad, if Red Sea actually knew how they worked! Priming the skimmer was a ridiculous task on it's own, because the instructions were so poor, and I've been thinking to myself for the last week or so, that it's been in there, it's not really doing a lot. This morning I removed the air inlet tube and just left it dangling from the plug, that the instruction insist you must connect it to, and hey presto, within seconds skum in my collection cup!!

I,ve never heard anything good about the prizm skimmers.Just get a better skimmer when you can.
And we expect pics when yu get a fish in there:D

I,ve never heard anything good about the prizm skimmers.Just get a better skimmer when you can.
And we expect pics when yu get a fish in there:D

Yote - I kept the box, think it's gonna find it's way onto Ebay!!!! :D

The conversation when I get home tonight is going to go something like this I think - Baby, I need a new skimmer, Oh and (in a whisper, to the left hand side of her, because she's hard of hearing on that side!!), I need to strip out that rubbish lighting I have, that came standard with my tank and redesign it or go and buy something with lots of t5 ho's!!!

Don't worry Yote, there'll be pics!! :mrgreen:

Flojo - I think I'll just take a leaf out of your book, just do it and put it in there, she'll never notice, unless of course a jumbo lands in our garden, then I might give the game away!! :mrgreen:

Guys I'd like to introduce you to 'Optomato Prime'.............

Attachments

• Optomato Prime 1.jpg
    Optomato Prime 1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 265
  • Optomato Prime 2.jpg
    Optomato Prime 2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 283
  • Optomato Prime 3.jpg
    Optomato Prime 3.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 262
  • Optomato Prime 4.jpg
    Optomato Prime 4.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 267
....as you can see after much patience, I'm finally there, first inhabitant is in the tank, and I'm so chuffed!!! Also added a few shrimp today 'Surf & Turf' the Cleaner Shrimps and 'Michael Flattley' the Dancing Shrimp. A few updated pics attached :bounce:

Attachments

• Tank Update 24-01-09_1.jpg
    Tank Update 24-01-09_1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 244
  • Tank Update 24-01-09.jpg
    Tank Update 24-01-09.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 274
  • Tank Update 24-01-09_2.jpg
    Tank Update 24-01-09_2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 255
  • Surf and Turf 2.jpg
    Surf and Turf 2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 253
  • Surf and Turf.jpg
    Surf and Turf.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 254
Hahaha great looking clown! And even greater name! I love it.

Thanks Biffy, today has been a good day! It is a lovely looking fish, was a little subdued at first, but settled surprisingly quickly. Seemed to fee ok this evening, although the Cleaners thought they were at an all you can eat buffet!!! :mrgreen:

Surf and Turf... Hahaha. They look really good. I'm glad you like them!

I went to get peppermints, but they didn't have any :-( So came away with the cleaners, they look pretty cool though, and they are fun to watch! Got a very cool worm to, but I don't think it made the journey home!

hey your clown looks great! He's a lot bigger than my first, I just added a 1 inch ocellaris a couple days ago! I love all the clowns. Great name as well!

hey your clown looks great! He's a lot bigger than my first, I just added a 1 inch ocellaris a couple days ago! I love all the clowns. Great name as well!

Thanks Lucas, he's about 2.5in long, and quite the chunkster!!! They are stunning fish, it's great how different the tank looks when there is something swimming about. The wife chose that!! The one who thinks I'm a loser!! Haha!!!

ha yeah figures when it comes time to pick the fish she wants in! Good luck with him can't wait to see what else is to come

Lucas buddy, the funniest thing is, last week in the LFS, she spent half an hour trying to get this poor boy to get this (admittedly pretty - I think Coco) white and pink tube worm that was quite small, without a tube. Off course, everytime the fella went anywhere near it, it disappeared into the sand bed. Today she spent 40mins!! And all because it's PINK!!! However after all that trouble and perserverance I don't think the poor thing survived the journey home, which is a shame. Pic attached! If anyone can identify it I'd be grateful :D

Attachments

• Worm.jpg
    Worm.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 243
Back